PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Should I Install Ubuntu

JKSnort
September 15th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I just found out about Ubuntu and it looks pretty sweet.

So i am trying to decide if I want to install it and I have a few questions about whether this is a good choose for me.

I like to game, so can I install steam on Ubuntu?
Does Ubuntu replace my old operating system?
or can I switch between the to?
I have Windows Vista, does Ubuntu go faster than Vista?

How well does Ubuntu run Python and C+?
:)

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Im not sure bout that game, never heard of it myself.

It can replace it if you choose, or you can have a dual boot, being able
to choose if you boot into Ubuntu or into Windows

In my own personal opinion (this will vary from user to user) Ubuntu is faster, as well as better. But you have to be open minded and ready to accept Linux is different. Click the link in my signature Linux is not Windows for more information concerning that.

not sure about C+ but yes Linux in general runs Python real well

Mornedhel
September 15th, 2008, 09:39 PM

Yes (through Wine), but performance is poor/terrible. Better not to.

During the installation process, you can choose whether to keep your other OSes, or overwrite. Should you keep them, you can choose the OS during boot. I dual-boot Vista and Ubuntu. I use Vista for games only (Steam included).

YES.

Can't tell if you're being serious, so : better than Windows for Python, and just as well for C++ (well it IS compiled)

JKSnort
September 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Thanx.

It can replace it if you choose, or you can have a dual boot, being able
to choose if you boot into Ubuntu or into Windows

How would I go about doing this?

Mornedhel
September 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The installer will prompt you.

Also, maybe you should try out the live CD before you actually install Ubuntu.

And welcome.

ronnielsen1
September 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Linux user number 479043 | Ubuntu User number is # 24065
I'm well aware of the linux user thing but an ubuntu number?

smuki
September 15th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Not too hard to do, have you installed nix before on any machines or is this the first time and you wondered the difference it would be from the others?

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm well aware of the linux user thing but an ubuntu number?
ya you can get one here http://ubuntucounter.geekosophical.net/useraccount.php

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Thanx.

How would I go about doing this?

as stated above, just follow the prompts. If you run into any problems, we are here to help.

Also, just as it was stated before. Its best to try the livecd first. Look at it as a test drive. Always try before you buy. :) This way you can see if you will even like it, as well as if your hardware will be 100% supported.

dESAI
September 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I just found out about Ubuntu and it looks pretty sweet.

So i am trying to decide if I want to install it and I have a few questions about whether this is a good choose for me.

Good luck! I love Ubuntu.

I've personally had a few problems. So one tip I would give is to make sure that once your new setup is working, try to download/store any files on an external HD. Just to minimize your potential losses.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Ubuntu is excellent.

JKSnort
September 15th, 2008, 09:59 PM
When I Install Ubuntu to dual boot with vista, will that cause either of the OSs to run slower?

When When I install it will I still be able to access all of my old data?

Mornedhel
September 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
This will not cause them to run slower, since they don't run at the same time. You may encounter problems if your Vista installation is on the only partition on the drive. Shrinking partitions is a bit dangerous.

You will be able to access your data on the Windows drive from Ubuntu, but not the other way around, unless you install support for ext3 filesystems under Vista.

JKSnort
September 15th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Can I uninstall it if I don 't like it?

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM
yes you can uninstall if you dont like it. ANd if needed we can help with that too

kansasnoob
September 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Run the live CD! Then run the live CD some more! And some more!

If you like what you see then consider a dual boot:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm

kansasnoob
September 15th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Just be sure you don't wipe out your Vista!

JKSnort
September 15th, 2008, 10:11 PM
You may encounter problems if your Vista installation is on the only partition on the drive. Shrinking partitions is a bit dangerous.

Hmm I Think I only have one partition, but can I add another? Or divide this one into two?

And How do I get this live CD?
Can I have some more info on how that works?

Mornedhel
September 15th, 2008, 10:15 PM
The live CD is the standard Ubuntu CD. You can get it either at Ubuntu's website (as an ISO image to be burned to a CD-R), or if you have a slow connection (or want a nice packaging) have it mailed to you at https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ (completely free of charge). Once you have it, just pop it in your drive and restart your computer (BIOS settings may have to be changed). This will treat you to a typical Ubuntu experience, without installing anything (ie, once you're tired of it, just reboot without the CD in the tray, and Vista will show up).

This is the same CD you'd later use for a definitive installation.

There are tools to shrink or divide partitions, but I have never used them (first thing I do on getting a new computer is formatting the drive, re-partitioning at my taste, then install OSes). Someone here can probably point out what's available.

k33bz
September 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hmm I Think I only have one partition, but can I add another? Or divide this one into two?

And How do I get this live CD?
Can I have some more info on how that works?
You can download the dvd on this site. Someone will probable post it before I finish writing. You can split the partition. However, unless things have changed, Vista is very temperamental bout changing its size. YOu would use gparted or a similiar program to do that. I beleive it is on the livecd. Or you can add a partition, which is just adding another harddrive. Maybe more expensive, but safer in the long run, especially if you find that ubuntu isnt for you.

SuperSonic4
September 15th, 2008, 10:18 PM
You can shrink one partition to get 2 if you have enough space. It's best to use Vista's own partitioning tool to do this.
If you have free (unallocated) partitions you can install ubuntu to there.

The live cd you can download Here (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) and it is essentially like Ubuntu installed on your pc, you can browse the web, IM people and do most things albeit slower.

JKSnort
September 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
WOW! THANK YOU ALL SOOOO MUCH!
I guess I am going to go get that live CD!

This is so exciting! =D

WRDN
September 15th, 2008, 10:58 PM
If you aren't entirely sure if you want to install Ubuntu or not on a real partition (and you don't feel comfortable partitioning a drive), then you may consider Wubi. It is on the LiveCD, and should run automatically if you put the disk in the drive while in Windows. Alternatively, download the iso/ wubi seperately, and place the iso in the same folder as wubi.exe. Then, when you run Wubi, it will find Ubuntu and you can install it. Afterwards, this works like a normal installation, and it is very easy to uninstall (just go to "Features and Programs" in the Vista control panel and remove Ubuntu.

JKSnort
September 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
o sweet I ran out of blank cds is this is totally the way to go =D

SunnyRabbiera
September 16th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I think anybody dis satisfied with Vista should look into Ubuntu, as it outperforms vista in every aspect... except gaming, but its getting there.

JKSnort
September 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Alright i used Wubi to install Ubuntu.

How do I make wifi work on linux?
and how do i get to my old windows files?

for example i have a file saved in c://python ,how would i get it?
but most important how can i make my internet work?

halitech
September 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM
do you know what wireless card you have?

far as the files in the windows side, should just be a matter of mounting the windows partition and that will give you access

JKSnort
September 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Dell Wireless 1395 wLAN Mini-Card Rev 2.10

I hope this is right,

so how get net on linux?

halitech
September 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM
looks like you have the Broadcom chip, follow the steps here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff

Bölvağur
September 16th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I have a map and a ruler

sorry for that, my post was stupid so I changed it :)

TJCIB
September 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I would also recommend, as one person already did, that if you want to do a full/normal install of ubuntu, its safest (and way easiest) to do it on a second hard drive.

It does not need to be huge, since you can use your storage space from your Windows HD in Ubuntu. I have XP running on one hard drive, and Ubuntu running on a separate 8GB hard drive (of course, it's nearly impossible to get 8GB drives now, so if buying, you'll probably have to settle for at least 40GB, which is fine too)...

richg
September 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I rather run applications than run Operating Systems. Your mileage may vary.

I use a hard drive rack. I can unlock the hd with a key, remove and insert another hd, lock with key and boot. Never ever any issues with dual booting. No need to partition. I use the new hard drives right out of the box. No need to format. Why ask for trouble. Personal files backed up on external hd. The external hd is only powered up when backing up data. A second hd is ready with Ubuntu 8.04 if the primary one ever fails. I lost a hd and data five years ago. Use to keep a hd with 98SE. No need now. Been doing this for nearly four years. Linux handles all my older 98 files just fine.
I use Yahoo web based email since June 1998. Never ever used email applications and I use Charter internet service.
The only issue I have is no way to record video and audio with a web cam.
I use my Asus EEE 4G PC for that.

Rich

JKSnort
September 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
WIFI:
ok so i have a BCM4310
so i looked at a site and this is what i am suppust to do

wget http://myspamb8.googlepages.com/R174291-pruned.zip
unzip R174291-pruned.zip

do i type this in the Linux run thingy(i forget it's name)?

and do i have to be connected to the internet by a cable when I do this?

can i download the driver to my vista and then transfer it to Ubuntu?

halitech
September 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM
yes you would do this in the terminal

it will certainly be easier to complete if you have a wired connection

you can download in vista if you want

JKSnort
September 16th, 2008, 10:27 PM
if i download this in vista how do I access it from Ubuntu?
I have a partitioned drive.

halitech
September 16th, 2008, 10:28 PM
you would need to mount the vista drive in Ubuntu. Other options, save the file to a thumb drive

JKSnort
September 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
how do you mount vista onto Ubuntu?