PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] New Dell Insprion Mini 9

Nxion
September 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
So who here is dying to get one? I know I am but Ill wait till my m1201 dies completely.

Also what is everyone's desktop manager of choice that you would want to run on the Mini 9.

I would run Openbox or Awesome.

LowSky
September 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
There are so many other options in the Netbook realm, the ASUS eeePC, the MSI wind, Acer One, HP 2133, and so on. What make this one so special? I priced one out and its $50 for a camera, seriously? they even give a deep discount on the Windows Version so it wont scare off customers, and why do I have to pay for colors? I understand the whole market to appeal everyone, but why isn't there more colors like there other notebooks. Also Dell says the ship date of October 20th from today (Sept 15), thats absurd. I can buy an eeePC or Wind today and have it by Friday.
The eeePC 901 has better equiptment and a bigger screen at the $499 Price tag range. At $499 I still think it too expensive but, give it time and all these companies will drop their prices for X-mas.

_sAm_
September 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I will sooner or later buy one, but not from Dell. The glossy screen is a deal breaker for me when it comes to laptops(if you have not tried it you should before buying, its terrible). So the HP version is also a no go. And I also want a bigger keyboard, witch means I need to get an 10" So either the Asus or the MSI 10".

yelsn
September 16th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I'm really excited about it and in fact ordered one (the base Ubuntu model) Saturday. Last laptop I bought was in 2000 so I'm due. :-P

I'm a slackware/slamd64 user and I know I'll eventually get the urge to put a custom install of slackware on it, but I'm planning on running Ubuntu for at least a few months. Undecided what window manager I'll use. Gonna experiment a bit I think.

Love the idea of these little books (mobile internet machine, plus should be able to pull music or whatever from my desktop) and liked this model better than the acer (others either had too small of a screen or were too expensive for what I wanted).

Too bad I've got about a month yet to dream.