PDA

View Full Version : Ok here is a question about the forums itself...

kdarkentity
September 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I have a couple of older threads that have been inactive for maybe 2 months and i can no longer post on them because "I may not have sufficient privileges" "or my account may be awaiting activation"

Well if it's a thread that i started why don't i have sufficient privileges? And Secondly If i can post new threads how is my account awaiting activation?

What can i do to completely re activate my account and be able to post on my older threads?

bingoUV
September 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Somebody in this forum might be able to help you better: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48.

But, are you sure that thread was not in a read-only archived section of the forums so that new posts are not possible. Wasn't there a warning such as

Hello, <username> You are browsing a READ only archive of the main support categories pre 4/21/2008. You will not be able to post or reply any threads in this section.

on top of the page?

EDIT: Totally wrong URL

kdarkentity
September 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Somebody in this forum might be able to help you better: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48.

But, are you sure that thread was not in a read-only archived section of the forums so that new posts are not possible. Wasn't there a warning such as

Hello, <username> You are browsing a READ only archive of the main support categories pre 4/21/2008. You will not be able to post or reply any threads in this section.

on top of the page?

EDIT: Totally wrong URL

Oh yeah i just noticed that, it does say that it is read only, hmm... well is there any way to be able to make it editable again, such as is there someone on the forums i can request to change that?

bingoUV
September 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
You might use the "report" button to notify administrators, they might be able to help you.

But it will likely be considered necromancy. Read here about necromancy: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5086471&postcount=22

Elfy
September 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Are they just support threads or something else?

It might be that you'll need to start new threads and then link to the older ones.

Bit hard to tell without know which ones :)

bodhi.zazen
September 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM
These threads are archived. @kdarkentity See my PM.

I do not foresee opening archived threads without good reason, start anew (& refer to archive if needed).

kdarkentity
September 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM
These threads are archived. @kdarkentity See my PM.

I do not foresee opening archived threads without good reason, start anew (& refer to archive if needed).

Al rightly then, that's just disappointing.

rune0077
September 16th, 2008, 01:28 AM

If the threads aren't too large, can't you just start a new thread and then copy n' paste the relevant information from the old ones?

bodhi.zazen
September 16th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Happens with a large forums / maintenance ...

kdarkentity
September 16th, 2008, 03:07 AM
If the threads aren't too large, can't you just start a new thread and then copy n' paste the relevant information from the old ones?

Nah it's not that simple, the thread in particular i want to re open is roughly 4 pages long and was last active on july 14th i beleive.

But i'ts ok , i will start a new thread a use the old one as a reference.