PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hoped to get help from a bum

Langstracht
September 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I am having a problem getting cron to start from boot up.

I had thought that I could use bum to activate cron as a boot process. To my regret (and surprise) cron seems not to be there to be activated.

So! Can someone tell me either

how to get cron "available" to be activated in bum

or

what command I need to put where (i.e. in what directory or file) so as to have cron get started.

As you may have realized I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to understanding/handling scripts and ".sh" and links and such like. So I really do need someone to be very pedantic in their reply.

Thanks in advance for that.

baruch60610
September 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Well, is cron installed? IIRC (and I might not), cron isn't installed by default. I vaguely recall having to install it myself, somewhat to my surprise.

Oldsoldier2003
September 15th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Well, is cron installed? IIRC (and I might not), cron isn't installed by default. I vaguely recall having to install it myself, somewhat to my surprise.

which cron is a fast way to tell if cron is installed. A good basic cron tutorial is here:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102626 There is more to cron than is shown in the tutorial but if you need further help there are plenty of folks on the forums that know how to use cron.

Langstracht
September 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Yes cron is installed. I can "manually" (i.e. command line) start it and it works just fine.

knix
September 15th, 2008, 04:38 PM
If nothing else, you can add it to your /etc/rc.local

Langstracht
September 15th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thank you for that response. But what does that mean?

Sorry but I don't even know what "/etc/rc.local" is. Is it a file? A directory? A script?

And so, what do I add (the word "cron"?) and into where?

Sorry for being dumb ... but I come by it honestly ...

nowshining
September 15th, 2008, 07:41 PM
/etc/rc.local is a script that allows one to run their own commands/scripts, etc.. upon login, it's a file, sudo gedit /etc/rc.local in terminal and add any info/command you want there or a path to another script..

example:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

/etc/???/sysmods

exit 0

or

in a terminal apt-get install sysv-rc-conf

in the same terminal issue sudo sysv-rc-conf and find cron (press the page up/page down button to control and q to exit and if after you get a high cpu usage then sudo killall -9 sysv-rc-conf) now u'll see run levels at top #'s, etc.. again find cron on the left then move the move into one of the [] boxes then under 2, 3, 4. 5 make them look like this [x] then press q to quit.

Langstracht
September 15th, 2008, 07:55 PM
O.K. Thank you so much for that.

But ... just to be real sure (I hate to fiddle with stuff when I'm iffy about what I am doing) ... instead of entering "/etc/???/sysmods" as per your example, I can simply create a new line, enter "cron" (without any paths or directories or whatever) and that's it. Yes?

shoot2kill
September 15th, 2008, 08:02 PM
you enter the same command as you would to start cron from the terminal, whatever that may be.

Langstracht
September 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Well I think I may have a problem then.

From the command line I've needed to enter

sudo cron

which then asks for my password ...

nowshining
September 15th, 2008, 10:20 PM
the file was a script i made to run that helps even out the sytem with speed tweaks, etc.. & to run some command after login or when ever i run /etc/rc.local and it also re-seats the font cache, etc.. I can give u a copy if you'd like to take a look at it.

Alas for your Q:

no need for sudo, /etc/rc.local runs as root and anything in it goes thru root, etc.. :) you could put sudo but it won't ask for a pw just like if u sudo at a root prompt - the command will just fine..

edit: if ever you want to run a program easily as another you can install sux

sudo apt-get install sux

then

sux username program

Langstracht
September 15th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the re-assurance. Sorry that I need it (the re-assurance) but I am really just a bit paranoid about bricking my machine.

I'll give it a go ... and hopefully let yourself and the other responders get on to bigger things.

Best.

nowshining
September 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM
hehe it's okay...

Just be careful what u put and never link to a script from your home folder in there, put it in /etc/ or somewhere safe and only allow root to edit it for extra protection, 'cause someone can easily edit the script in your home folder and since rc.local is all root anything can go wrong...

:)