PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] ATi Vs nVidia - 2008

Benchamoneh
September 15th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

I've recently gathered together my things and decided to move from WinXP to Ubuntu. However I own both an nVidia and ATi graphics card and was wondering which one currently offers the best performance / support? I have used Ubuntu before (back at 6.06) and if I recall correctly the ATi drivers were hideous!

Since then I've read reports of ATi opening up their drivers and making some major revisions but I've done a quick search and can't seem to find any recent (2008 ) comparisons of the 2. So I'm wondering, have ATi cards improved any? Which card would you install with given the choice?

If it helps the 2 cards are pretty evenly matched (GF7800GTX vs RDX1900GT).

paulg
September 15th, 2008, 02:19 PM
In this case you're better off with the NVidia card. I had read that there are some proprietary IP in the X1### ATI cards that is preventing those cards (i.e. X1200, X1900) from benefiting from the new driver improvements. The main benefactors are the current generations ATI cards.

You're not seeing recent comparisons because those cards are circa 2006 :) For the record I have a system with a 7600GT and a system with an X800pro. Both run reasonably well. The X800pro is a lot improved in the last 3 years. The 7600GT is more stable than the ATI card. I also understand that the X### series ATI cards have better driver support than the X1### cards.

tuxxy
September 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM
nvidia definitely

paulg
September 15th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Here's Tom's Hardware relative comparison chart going all the way back to the ATI Rage and the NVidia TNT. They update this list pretty often.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,2011-6.html

These ratings don't account for driver support in linux ;)

Benchamoneh
September 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks guys, guess I'll go with the nVidia then. Thanks for the link.

You're not seeing recent comparisons because those cards are circa 2006
Ha ha good point, guess I don't think before I post! :tongue: