PDA

View Full Version : Just got an iPhone

hanzomon4
September 15th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Yesterday and it's amazing!
I know it gets knocked around these parts but this is the best little device I've ever bought. The only drawback is the lack of buttons while listening to music. I do miss my scroll wheel but just like the keyboard you get used to it after a while. Surfing the web, checking email, chatting with meebo.. It's what an ultra portable should be. I'd never suggest buying an iPhone for hardcore foss geeks but for folks who want a nice computer/phone that can fit in your pocket this is the best....

Posted from my iPhone :)

ChanServ
September 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM
good allwase comes with bad

blithen
September 15th, 2008, 06:28 AM
good allwase comes with bad

...What?

doorknob60
September 15th, 2008, 06:30 AM
...What?

allwase = always...I think...

NovaAesa
September 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
I have seen them, they look pretty cool. I couldn't find a way to change the 'keyboard' on them to Dvorak though... =[

beniwtv
September 15th, 2008, 09:28 AM
nah, I'm more the hacker type :)

Got my Neo Freeruner a few days ago, and I'm already installing Debian. It's amazing. Tell me you can do the same with your iPhone?

nah, just kidding... the iPhone is quite nice for something to just open the box and play away.
Have fun!

:popcorn:

Cheers,

fatality_uk
September 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
As a piece of kit, the iPhone is a great design and functional. It's drool making indeed. As a phone/business tool, I'll keep my HTC thanks ;)

hanzomon4
September 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I figured as much...

Can't install debian but if I jailbroke it I could use it's unixy bits.

god0fgod
September 15th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Well I want an ipod touch. New thin design looks awesome.

billgoldberg
September 15th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I don't know why people feel to need to make these "brag" posts.

Half the world has an iphone. It doesn't make you cool nor "hip". It would make you a "follower".

Second, if you embrace the open source/FSF/linux/... ideals (or just care about freedom), then an iphone isn't totally out of the picture.

toupeiro
I'm not much of a fan of the "Always on" feature when it comes to the iPhone, where even when its "off" its Still "on". I know some people who traveled overseas and racked up some ridiculously outlandish phone bills with their iPhone...

I have an iPod touch, and am a big fan of it. Of course, only after jailbreaking it.

zmjjmz
It is your duty to jailbreak it.
It's 2x more awesome that way.

hanzomon4
September 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I don't know why people feel to need to make these "brag" posts.

Half the world has an iphone. It doesn't make you cool nor "hip". It would make you a "follower".

Second, if you embrace the open source/FSF/linux/... ideals (or just care about freedom), then an iphone isn't totally out of the picture.

Oh please, half the world does not have an iPhone. 2nd do you really think I'd spend 300 bucks to look cool? I'm insulted.. It's a great little device, I needed a phone, my ipod was old and I wanted to replace it, I have a macbook pro... iPhone=logical choice.

If I wanted to be "cool" why on earth would I "brag" on a Linux forum, full of people that despise closed tech, that I bought and love the techno manifestation of their anti-foss? Would you feel disgusted if I were "bragging" about my new linux Eeepc? No you wouldn't!

This is not a bragging thread, it's a thread about technology for people who like technology. So zealots please leave your chips on your shoulders and out of my thread.

Goodbye ):P

zekopeko
September 16th, 2008, 01:10 AM
just played today with an iphone and it rocks. it's nice in the hand and the screen is really nice. and the software rocks

master5o1
September 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
How well does a non jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch work with Linux atm?

hanzomon4
September 16th, 2008, 02:47 AM
How well does a non jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch work with Linux atm?

Seems to be coming along Sync iPhone in Linux wirelessly (http://lifehacker.com/388785/sync-your-iphone-wirelessly-in-linux). If the iPhone worked with banshee, Tomboy, Evolution and F-spot like it does with the OS X equivalents, only wirelessly, I might cry