PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Pernament Low Graphics Mode, video driver problems, geforce 2

Anonymong
September 15th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Heya,

I just installed xubuntu on an old family computer (overriding Win ME, YUCK!) and have gotten video driver issues since I activated the propriety drivers as asked to.

I know there are THOUSANDS of threads dedicated to the same issue, but after trying everything recommended on the forums (from Envy, downloading legacy drivers, deleting drivers, reinstalling drivers, trying out all the drivers at the Low Graphics mode window at start up...) that I can understand, I'm now seemingly stuck at this 'Low Graphics Mode'. Now I don't get the window on start up!

Envy always (automatically) installed the newer drivers, even though I've read that they are incompatible. I think I must have deleted the propriety stuff as 'Hardware Drivers' no longer lists them.

I'm a total NEWBIE and I don't have a clue about stuff like x.org which gets mentioned a lot (is it where my packages get downloaded from?). Though I've used Terminal/Konsole. Had a similar problem with an another machine with Kubuntu (though the propriety stuff did its job) right before I reduced the motherboard to ashes (don't ask).

Gotta go and get some shut-eye: will respond to any helpful comments tomorrow. Thanks for your time!

tuxxy
September 15th, 2008, 04:13 AM
It would help if you listed your video card model

Tatty
September 15th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Did you use EnvyNG from the repos? That has an option to allow you to install older versions of the drivers.

Anonymong
September 15th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Already done it's in my sig. According to Envy, it's a GeForce 2 MX/MX 400. Other then that, I don't know more about it.

Anonymong
September 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I don't know what you meant by 'repos', but I've installed both the drivers that Envy NG reccomended and the legacy ones from manual or synaptic package thingie. I don't know if I could tell if the drivers are activated or rejected by the computer after the install.

All I know is that the VESA drivers seem to be the only ones that work. I cannot find the drivers I installed on any driver list.