PDA

View Full Version : Which distro or OS did you migrate from?

Connollyir
November 18th, 2005, 12:33 AM
I'm curious which distro or os you migrated from and why?

Personally, I came over from Gentoo linux because I wanted something with a bit more structure as opposed to the totally free environment Gentoo is housed in... it was nice but it was also a pain too when you just wanted something to "work" with less effort. I'm still deciding how I feel about Ubuntu so I'm curious as to what you all have to say about it.

Thanks

-Ian

jaddison
November 18th, 2005, 01:08 AM
I'm curious which distro or os you migrated from and why?

Personally, I came over from Gentoo linux because I wanted something with a bit more structure as opposed to the totally free environment Gentoo is housed in... it was nice but it was also a pain too when you just wanted something to "work" with less effort. I'm still deciding how I feel about Ubuntu so I'm curious as to what you all have to say about it.

Strangely enough, I came from Gentoo as well. I'd been using Gentoo for probably 4 or so years - I used to love tinkering with it. Recently though, I've become more focused on being productive with my system, rather than messing around with it.

I'd read about Ubuntu, heard all sorts of good things, but wasn't tempted to take the plunge of change until a friend of mine tried it out. He thought it was actually very good.

I back up my data, popped in a freshly burned disc of Ubuntu into my drive and haven't turned back since. It's only been a month or so, but I am liking it a lot. It just works. Oh, by the way, I'm still using Gentoo on my server box, but I will probably migrate that to Ubuntu once it gets trashed enough (or I find the time to do so). We'll see!

I hope this answers your question sufficiently,

dom
November 18th, 2005, 01:28 AM
i have ditched
-win98
-win2000
-suse 8.3, 9.2, 9.3

in favour of ubuntu.

I didn't like win. Lots of trouble with the os and various apps. Fixing was becoming a pain as the install times a so long. I eventually got an image of the clean install and restored from that after, but still started looking elsewhere.

i used suse a lot but didn't like it, especially yast and some of it's setup.

I got the open circulation cd of corel and the turbo linux workstation 6. Both installed perfectly and worked great. However, no wireless support :(
I'm going to keep them and use on wired boxes. They look great.
I was suprised and impressed they worked 'out of the box' and the newer debian sarge and ubuntu hoary did not.

i got debian sarge first and really liked it. However is just wouldn't work with my graphics card, and while i was trying to fix that i noticed the old kernel and feared poor wireless support.

mostly though i was having no fun with xfree86.

i got ubuntu hoary (5.04) and it would not boot ! Eventually I found a boot parm to get it going and installed. Then the same problem with debian, graphics. I got some 800*600 working and after some posts here I have better resolution with a modeline in xorg.conf.

In all, I love the packaging as I do with my ne found use for debian (decided to try it elsewhere and am using it on another older box as a server, no monitor, keyboard, etc)

i had a little trouble with the wireless setup but mostly that was specific to my device. I got it going eventually.

I like the os, i'm using gnome which i hadn't used before. I see some hiccups in the setup and get some weird messages sometimes so there is a bit to go for it but it's looking good.

Everybody else here (this is a shared pc) has started using it now as win was giving lots of hassle.

Interestingly none of them ever used anything but win before, and they like Ubuntu. The first things we tried were email, firefox and openoffice. One they saw those working they were happy and are now playing with music apps and other stuff.

Now, though the wireless is working, when the machine is powered on, somebody must run a script as root to bring up the device and start the wpa application. If I can get that automated at boot up, and on a re-try basis in case the router is not ready, then I will be very very happy.

Kvark
November 18th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Short story:
Switched from Win XP to Ubuntu because XP requires constant maintenance to keep it working well. Ubuntu just keeps on ticking with almost no petting at all and Ubuntu is years ahead of Windows.

Long story:
I came from Windows XP because I thought Linux was years behind and only useable as a server. I wanted to laugh at it for a day or so before reinstalling XP after the usual Windows chrash. Picked Ubuntu because it was gratis and only 1 CD to download.

Well I did snicker at the text based installer but at the first boot Ubuntu wiped the grin off my face with a log in prompt that looks like something from a sci fi series. After that it was one chock after another, some things are hard to belive for a Windows user.

Some of the things I had difficulties accepting was... Drivers for most hardware and many useful programs are included in the generic default install and not only in preinstalls. It is possible to install stuff without having to search for downloads or get CDs and fiddle with cracks or autentication procedures. The filesystem doesn't defrag. Viruses doesn't jump into the computer just cause you look at the wrong website/email/document. Problems don't randomly arrise over time for no apparent reason at all. There can be several workspaces. You can choose between different desktop environments. It's enough with one filesystem, no need for a separate one on each hard disk. A computer can be smart enough to know that a gif picture is still a picture even if it's name doesn't end with .gif. A command line can be a useful and fast tool.

With all those details showing that Ubuntu is far more modern then Windows it didn't go as planned. I didn't get to laugh at Ubuntu and tease Linux geeks about how behind they where, and I didn't reinstall Windows. The biggest of the reasons for staying was that when it works it keeps working.

uberlinux
November 18th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Currently::..:100% Kubuntu 5.10
Previous::..:100% Ubuntu 5.04
Previous::..:Ubuntu 4.10+WinXP
Previous::..:SuSE 9.1 Pro +WinXP

Skatox
November 18th, 2005, 02:54 AM
I migrated from Suse 9.1, and before that RedHat 9.

Ride Jib
November 18th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I came from Fedora Core 3.

The reason: every time a kernel update was released, I had to reinstall my nvidia drivers, and I would always lose my how-to sheet. That, and YUM was the slowest piece of crap ever written.

I do still have my Winderz partition, but that is strictly for HL2

PatrickMay16
November 18th, 2005, 03:20 AM
I migrated from Windows 2000 Professional.

quietglow
November 18th, 2005, 03:21 AM
I've gone

MacOS 1-8>Win98(ugh)>RedHat4-6>MacOS9>MacOSX>Ubuntu

I had a brief stint on SuSE during my OSX days

claydoh
November 18th, 2005, 04:56 AM
My first OS was win95, I toyed with 98.
My last full-time distro was Lycoris Desktop/LX. It was the distro that took me away from Windows completely back in February 2002. I eventually did some packaging for them, but nothing major. But trying to get some modern things going on an outdated platform taught me a few things here and there, and i miss the UI tweaks, particularly their more logical menu layouts.

I started out when I somehow discovered BeOS 5 when they released their free Personal edition. My first distro was mandrake 7.0, which I got from a magazine. So I went out and bought 7.2, which sucked big time, whereas 7.0 worked well. I then discovered a couple of "easy" one-disc distros: ELX and Redmondlinux back in 2000-2001(I think). I puttered around trying out distros part time until Redmondlinux released build 39 or so, while ELX, though a bit better at the time, languished and disappeared.

While Desktop/LX became my "home" OS, I always tried out the new and interesting, and still do. The takeover of Lycoris by Mandriva netted me VIP access there, and though I do check them out and they have wonderfull products, I somehow am drawn here.

Kinda hard for me to understand as I don't favor "crowds" or the Biggest, Baddest, and Brightest. I run Kubuntu, so I guess that is sort of a smalller fish in a sense

siimo
November 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Debian Sarge 3.1/Win XP -> Breezy Badger/Win XP

fuscia
November 18th, 2005, 12:42 PM
i'm still using my first computer, which i got five years ago. it came with windows ME, easily the most entertaining of all microsoft OSs, but even it is boring. firefox introduced me to open source and i loved redecorating it constantly. linux, in retrospect, was then an obvious choice for me. had it not been for the problems i had encountered with wireless, i probably would have switched nine months ago. i had tried a number of live CDs, but ubuntu was one of the only ones that even recognized my adapter. what clinched it for ubuntu, though, was this forum. i am a tinkering end user who is too lazy and too impatient sometimes to learn what i need to in order to get things done. having people who are willing to help me, is a necessity for me to use linux. i am astounded at how many people, both here and at the mozilla forums, are willing to help me with great patience. it speaks well for humanity.

mgor
November 18th, 2005, 12:54 PM
started out with redhat for about 7 years ago, after a week or so i switch to slackware which i stayed for 3-4 years, heard about gentoo and used it for 2-3 years, took a de-tour with suse for a couple of months and then tried fedora.
thought it was time to try debian, so i installed it on my private servers, found out about ubuntu and how great it was so i had to try it out, and here i am :)

rpaller
November 18th, 2005, 01:33 PM
Fedora Core 3

I enjoyed that Ubuntu was a single CD distro when it came time to decide between upgraded to FC4 or another distro entirely.

augied
November 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I got my first computer about 1.5 years ago (I'm in high school by the way). It was a thinkpad with windows 98SE preinstalled. I used windows for a year without any major issues, meaning I only had to restore the system from a month old backup once, and from a fresh backup 2 or 3 times. While there was a hint of sarcasm there, I didn't consider it that bad at the time. I never realized that there was anything else available. One day, I was really bored, so I read a few articles on linux. Then I tried a few live cds. Then I dual booted my computer with Fedora Core 3 (not all in one day). I loved Fedora, but was eventually driven away from it because I couldn't get the thinkpad power management software to install. Also I wasn't crazy about rpm, and I hated YUM. I read an article in which the author described his experience using linux on a thinkpad t21, the same model as I have. He first tried Fedora, but eventually switched to Ubuntu, so I did the same and never looked back. While dual booting with windows and Ubuntu, I also experimented triple booting with SUSE and also Debian. Niether of them lasted very long. About a month ago I deleted windows. I am now only using Ubuntu, and I intend to stay that way.

bluebell
November 18th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I migrated from SuSE linux.
SuSE works great for me. But, I'm just a little bored with its artwork. :p

Clazzy
November 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM
I've gone through various different distros. I started with XP (which I still have for some apps, mostly games), moved to Mandriva, then Debian and then Ubuntu. Since then, I've experimented with several different distros, including Arch, Gentoo, Frugalware and Rubix, but I've always come back to Ubuntu since, as it 'just works'.

dubz
November 18th, 2005, 06:38 PM
to make this simple, ill make a list.
Apple IIe dos type thing,dos,ms-dos,redhat 5.2,6.0,6.2,7,7.3,8,9 + FC 1,2,3
suse 8,gentto being my latest before ubuntu.

i changed to Ubuntu to its South African and well, im South African.Thought id be patriotic. I was surprised at how good it was. Now im hooked.

aysiu
November 18th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm a visual learner, and I need a poll tacked on to this...
Unfortunately, there was a limit of ten options.

Edit: I thought I was so clever. For some reason, it's not working. I reported it.

aysiu
November 18th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I hope it works this time.

Edit: it did!

DrBair
November 18th, 2005, 07:16 PM
OK OK... I'll admit it. I was the one that put the first talley on the board for gentoo :o

My aged laptop and aged server are still running it. The server will probably run it indefinetly because of the ease of configurability. The laptop might move over sooner or later but lately I've been drooling all over my new dualcore which is where I started using Ubuntu.

I moved over to Ubuntu so I could contribute to the project. I feel that it has the potential to appeal to the masses as a viable windows alternative.

montes.c
November 24th, 2005, 12:18 AM
OpenBSD

detyabozhye
November 24th, 2005, 02:11 AM
Came from Windoze, got sick and tired of it, sadly, I still need to use it sometimes.

Orunitia
November 24th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Debian.

Well, I dual booted with Debian/XP for a long time, but I decided to vote Debian.

Littleweseth
November 24th, 2005, 06:11 AM
XP Pro SP2 and OSX (Panther, not Tiger.)

That given, the reason I've begun using Ubuntu is because of OSX. OSX is very sexy indeed, and it let me play around with all kinds of awesome *nix stuff like wget. (Yes, I do wget -kKrp -w 3 --random-wait to websites all the time - we 56kers do like to read stuff offline. Forgiveness, please.) OSX showed me that *nix can be easy to use, and the terminal in any *nix sure as hell beats what passes for a terminal in Windows. (no, I'm not gonna stick around for Monad.) However, my experiences were being limited by the fact that you can't really do much with a G3 400MHz iMac. It was taking five seconds to spit out a PHP page.

Hence ubuntu on Daedalus, my PC. It lets me trash up my system much more speedily than the iMac, and play around with real Linux (OSX comes close, but not quite - never had to build/compile anything on OSX yet). Oh, and it's a great learning experience - though being classified as a long time Windows user, it seems I have much to unlearn (seem to be coping just fine, though.)

viper
November 24th, 2005, 06:29 AM
XP PRO:mad:
As I am in the IT industry (repairs to windows based systems) still use uncle Bill`s OS, but we are gearing up so that we can provide clients another (better) solution eg: Ubuntu, Kubuntu for every day use but first I gota learn the in`s and out`s.!!!
My buisness partner has been with Ubuntu for quite a while now and he has been trying to get me to play around in Linux for a while now (should have tried this a long time ago) but as they say better late than never:smile:

Minyaliel
November 24th, 2005, 10:23 AM
I came over from buggy, slow WinXP... now, after two or three months on Ubuntu, I find myself trying to convince the school's IT team to set up Linux computers aswell... lol. I'd never use a Windows machine again, if I could help it. *sits on a Windows machine writing this and is totally annoyed by the fact*

fourhead
November 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
My complete "migration cycle" was Windows XP -> Mandrake (a few months) -> Gentoo (almost 2 years) and now Kubuntu since 2 days :-)

I first installed mandrake in parallel to XP because it was easy, pretty leightweight and it also just worked. I had tried SuSE a few times, I'm sure it's a good distro, but for some reason I never liked it (although it comes from where I was born ;-) ). Then I heart about Gentoo, deciced I want to learn more about Linux & I'm honestly hating RPMs, so I switched over to it pretty quickly - and I loved it. I had it running on my desktop (AMD64) and my girlfriend's iBook. But, as most Gentoo-converts, I'm now missing the time you have to invest into Gentoo, and I've heart lots of good things about Ubuntu (Kubuntu, actually), so I popped in both AMD64 and PPC live CDs into my desktop and my gf's iBook, saw that really everything worked right away, and then I just installed it on both machines - and I really love it so far, although I still have to get used to no having EVERYTHING under my control, but it just works, and that's what counts :-)

Tom

Miguel
November 24th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Short story:
WinXP -> Mandrake 10.0 -> Ubuntu 4.10 (and updated ever since)

Long story:
I've had a computer at home since 96, but it was my parents' computer and was used for serious work. Our DOS experience was not bad. Our Win98 experience (PIII in y2k) was worse... but basically because the mobo died on us. And there it come XP.

Actually, we've never had major problems at home, though that could be because we don't have internet there. The thing is, I am a natural born tinkere, and also grew a MS hater. So, when I finished my physics degree and my parents bought me my laptop, I run to put Linux into it.

I knew nothing about it (apart from some commandline experience from university). I didn't know what to expect or what was I going to see. I just wanted to jump from the bridge. And I did it!!! Although I wanted SuSE, I installed Mandrake 10.0 because it is what came in a magazine.

Just imagine a newbie, that knew nothing about compilling complex, non self made, programs (repositories??? what's that?), configuring linux in a very recent laptop. What's more, I learnt compiling kernels the hard way (call it ipw2100). And having a wide, uncommon res (1280x800) didn't help installing the ATi drivers too. Eventually, I learned a lot, and could make things work.

However, as time went by, and linux knowledge came in, I started feeling uneasy with Mandrake. A friend of mine pointed me to ubuntu, I read the web to see if the project convinced me and... well, here I am. From warty to brezy with mostly positive experiences!!!

BTW: Thanks for reading this long rant

Jordao
November 24th, 2005, 04:12 PM
i used caixamagica before...

a portuguese distro...

PMO6022
November 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Prior to ubuntu, I ran Mandrake for a year or so, then switched with 4.10 (Warty). Before Mandrake I ran windows 2000. When I tried out XP, I disliked it so much I started looking at alternatives and that led me to linux.

Crazy Man
November 24th, 2005, 04:49 PM
When I say I migrated, I mean the linux partition on my laptop and my server

Laptop: WinXP -> WinXP + SuSe9.3 -> WinXP + Gentoo -> WinXP + SuSe 9.3 (decided to give it a second chance, but didn't work completely as I'd like it) -> WinXP + Ubuntu 5.10

Server: Slackware 10.1 -> Slackware 10.2 -> Ubuntu 5.10 (got frustrated with secondary network card not working)

xuni
November 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I came from Fedora Core 4, before which I ran Windows 2000 Professional. Choosing Linux was to avoiding upgrading to XP and to get away from buying software.
Since migrating, I've tried 10 other Linux distros, but none are as good as Ubuntu. :)

A-star
November 25th, 2005, 08:18 AM
I come from windows XP, which I used untill the end of last year.
I migrated because I spend more time fixing my computer then actually using it.
Now it just works.

quazar
November 26th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I just cam from WinXP, I've tried linux before; Susu, RedHad, Debian but somehow never got it working properly. This time around Linux seems to have maturated into a quite noob friendly OS. Synoptic is very powerfull, and makes the life of an Linux novice much easier.
I really apreciate the ubuntuforums, since that has answered most of my problems thus far!

marksi
November 26th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Gee I started with a Commodore 64 way back!! thru windows to Mandrake to Gentoo and now to xubuntu