PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] yep, RAR files....again

rockerphil
September 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM
ok, i'm sure this questions has been asked before, but i've searched around and still havn't found the answer i'm needing. so, does anyone know of (prefferably) a native Linux program for handling .rar format archives, or at least a Windows app that will work in Wine? any help is greatly appreciated, much thanx,

Phil

perlluver
September 14th, 2008, 11:44 PM
ok, i'm sure this questions has been asked before, but i've searched around and still havn't found the answer i'm needing. so, does anyone know of (prefferably) a native Linux program for handling .rar format archives, or at least a Windows app that will work in Wine? any help is greatly appreciated, much thanx,

Phil

Go to System>Administration>Synaptic and search for unrar. Or from the terminal,
sudo apt-get install unrar

OutOfReach
September 14th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I thought that file-roller had RAR support.

Gannon8
September 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
p7zip with the p7zip-rar extension can handle rar files.

sudo apt-get install p7zip-rar(It will automatically install p7zip as a dependency.

aomlives
September 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM

I'm afraid not, unrar should be fine though.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 14th, 2008, 11:48 PM

File-roller has rar support through external tools, and you have to install those.

AFAIK, to uncompress rar archives in ubuntu, you can rely on either unrar (which is not free), unrar-free or p7zip-full.

I prefer unrar-free.

rockerphil
September 14th, 2008, 11:50 PM
no, file roller doesn't have rar support, that's the first archive manager i attempted to extract the archive with. now, i've got unrar installed, but it seems to be a command line app, how exactly do i use it? just a quick rundown on how to extract basic rar files would be greatly appreciated

Phil

AndyCooll
September 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM
no, file roller doesn't have rar support, that's the first archive manager i attempted to extract the archive with. now, i've got unrar installed, but it seems to be a command line app, how exactly do i use it? just a quick rundown on how to extract basic rar files would be greatly appreciated

Phil
Once you've installed unrar, go back and use file-roller again. It should now have rar support.

:cool: