PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suspend, Hibernate, Restart - not working

alexham
September 14th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi,
I am having problems with Suspend, Hibernate and Restart options in ubuntu 8.04.1, which I installed yesterday.

"Suspend" seems to be stuck in a loop, because it returns the system to the password menu and the drives continue to run.

"Restart" crashes the system and the only way to get out of it is to reboot.

"Hibernate" turns everything off, but takes to long to recover where I was.

I check my emails several times a day and I need a facility (by whatever name it is called) to turn off the system and drives and recover quickly without having to go through splash procedure etc.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks,

Alex

phidia
September 14th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Restart should not crash or freeze the OS. Take a look at your log files from The Menu System > Administration. Maybe there is something there related to the problem.

As for suspend and hibernate we will need to know the hardware specs and what hardware drivers you have enabled.

alexham
September 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Restart should not crash or freeze the OS. Take a look at your log files from The Menu System > Administration. Maybe there is something there related to the problem.

As for suspend and hibernate we will need to know the hardware specs and what hardware drivers you have enabled.

You are not going to believe this, Phidia, but I tried all three and they all worked!!

By the way, is there a way to clear that log file, so that I don't have to scroll down for miles?

Thanks,

Alex