PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Open Office Writer... HELP!!

sillyboy
September 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I brought my .docs from Windows into O O Writer. I have a 10 page .doc that I can not put page numbers on. This was Very easy in Word. When I try to type in the page number 1, a 1 shows up on all the pages. When I try to insert page numbers, from right clicking only the page that is on screen will get a number. Very frustrating! :confused Help!!

bumanie
September 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Go to insert --> fields --> page count. I think page number will number a single page, whereas page count numbers successive pages. Also there is a wealth of help explanations in OO's "help" section. Also lots on the internet.
PS: Header/footer is correct. see below.

Mornedhel
September 14th, 2008, 06:32 PM
The trick is to insert a header or footer first. This will be displayed on every page. Then use Insert > Field > Page Number into the header/footer to display the current page number on every page. Page Count displays the total page count IIRC.

OldDirtyTurtle
September 14th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I think that once you get used to it, you'll find that page numbering, etc. is much easier and more intuitive in OOo than Word. :)

I've even gone so far as to develop a document in Word and do all page number formatting in OOo. The more sections you have, the harder Word is to use, even though section formatting is designed to help you organize and format a document.

sillyboy
September 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Thank You. Worked Great! I did try to find the answer through the HELP menu, but I could not find it. Thank again!!