View Full Version : [kubuntu] Shortcut Icon now a ? , how to fix?

September 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Under KDE 4.1.1 (brand new!) I find that I have done something that changed the Icon displayed for "kate" from a text editor symbol to a big "?". Also in the launcher menu (lower left) the entry for the "kate" editor has moved to the "Lost and Found" section (also a "?" icon).

So.... how do I re-associate an icon with the program?

I think all I did was add the shortcut to a panel, use it for a while, and then change my mind and remove it from the panel. Maybe I clicked "Remove this Icon" after right clicking on the shortcut on the panel.

Anyway, how do I make things right again? Do I need to re-install kate? (this sounds a lot like the re-install Windows "solution")

Thanks. :confused:

September 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I haven't used KDE for years, but there should be a menu editor somewhere in there:) If you can just right click the big "K" and then click Edit Menus click on Kate and select properties to change anything to do with the launcher.

September 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
If it was that obvious I would not have needed to ask. There is no "edit menu" option anywhere in the system menus. Right clicking on a shortcut does bring up an "icon settings" menu. The first tab is read only (can't edit it) and none of the settings on any tab mention 'icon'

KDE4.1.1 is moving towards the Windows Vista model of hiding everything from the user. This seems to include how to setup/configue a "simple" shortcut.

As I mentioned the "kate" application moved (all by itself) in the system menus from "utilities" to "lost and found". The icon also switched from a pencil and paper to a large "?". The kate application however will still start and run fine.

So my questions is "what is the recommended way to setup a shortcut?" and if that is hopelessly broken, "how can I associate an icon with a shortcut? (and where are the icon files hidden?)"

Also....How can I move kate form the "lost and found" menu back to the "utilities" menu?

Thank You.

September 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I finally figured out the new KDE4 interface.

To change the icon assigned to a shortcut:

Right click on the shortcut
Select --> Icon settings
In dialog box that opens up click on the ICON (no menu item listed)
Select an icon picture from the list (not all are shown....but better than nothing)

The move existing shortcuts out of the menu Lost and Found:

RIGHT click on the menu launcher (the gear)
Select menu editor
Expand the "lost and Found" section of the tree
Drag and Drop lost shortcut to another part of the tree (say "utilities")
click "Save"

This isn't so bad once you find the (somewhat hidden) interface. But....how did the shortcuts end up in "Lost and Found" in the first place?

September 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM
KDE 4 is still in heavy development. If you need stability, stick to KDE 3.x.