PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Loss of sound, only on YouTube

AmpersUK
September 14th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have had to reload Ubuntu and noticed something strange.

I can play MP3s in Amerok, I can play videos in Totem but in YouTube, after installing flash, I can see the movie, but no sound whatsoever comes out.

Also if this helps, I have noticed in YouTube there is no picture until I click on the area where the picture should be. The movie then appears but no sound.

I have checked sound, nothing appears to be in Mute.

Can anyone help here?

Ampers

Sef
September 15th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Moved to absolute beginners.

Gannon8
September 15th, 2008, 12:05 AM
What flash player did you install? It is probably that. I use the official flash package, and I get sound.

Dave-ie
September 15th, 2008, 12:25 AM
This might be a stupid question, but is the sound up on the flash player itself? You see the little speaker icon, click on that a see if the slider is up.

LowSky
September 15th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Are you trying to listen to mp3's while watching Youtube videos? A stupid fix is to close both programs then use one or the other until you get the codec issue fixed by installing flash from source.

AmpersUK
September 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM
What flash player did you install? It is probably that. I use the official flash package, and I get sound.

Thanks, I loaded all I could find :-)

And it now works.

Ampers

AmpersUK
September 15th, 2008, 01:35 AM
This might be a stupid question, but is the sound up on the flash player itself? You see the little speaker icon, click on that a see if the slider is up.

Ues, the first thing I checked was all the sound controls.

It turned out to be the wrong flash add-in I was using.

AmpersUK
September 15th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Are you trying to listen to mp3's while watching Youtube videos? A stupid fix is to close both programs then use one or the other until you get the codec issue fixed by installing flash from source.

Good heavens, no I wasn't listing to music and watching videos at the same time :-)

I am sure there are some who could, but that is beyond me. My ears tend to work in tandem.

Solved it now with a different flash add-in.