PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trouble installing hardy heron from cd.

fignig
September 14th, 2008, 05:41 AM
i'm having a bit of trouble installing this hardy heron from the cd that i just burned. i downloaded it w/ ktorrent and burned it w/ k3b and i got all the way up to the menu, and then when it went to the loading ubuntu screen, then after that the screen went blank. is there a problem w/ my cd, or is there a problem w/ what i d/l'd b/c i got the torrent from the site.

fignig
September 14th, 2008, 05:41 AM
i'm having a bit of trouble installing this hardy heron from the cd that i just burned. i downloaded it w/ ktorrent and burned it w/ k3b and i got all the way up to the menu, and then when it went to the loading ubuntu screen, then after that the screen went blank. is there a problem w/ my cd, or is there a problem w/ what i d/l'd b/c i got the torrent from the site.

and it's a 64bit, and i have a amd64

crazypenguin2008
September 14th, 2008, 05:49 AM
check the disc for defects first

then it that dont work

try dowloading directly from the ubuntu site and burn the disc on the slowest setting then check the cd/dvd for defects. there is a 32bit and a 64bit verson as well.......hope you get it working

jas'

fignig
September 14th, 2008, 06:22 AM
check the disc for defects first

then it that dont work

try dowloading directly from the ubuntu site and burn the disc on the slowest setting then check the cd/dvd for defects. there is a 32bit and a 64bit verson as well.......hope you get it working

jas'

lol i mentioned i had a 64bit cpu and the cd. so it's not that. i went straight for burning it to install, maybe i should burn it on a slower setting? i can burn 48x, should i slow it down to like 16x?

lisati
September 14th, 2008, 06:26 AM
lol i mentioned i had a 64bit cpu and the cd. so it's not that. i went straight for burning it to install, maybe i should burn it on a slower setting? i can burn 48x, should i slow it down to like 16x?

1. The 32-bit CD should work on a 64-bit CPU.
2. Common wisdom on these forums is to burn the CD at the slowest possible setting that your software will allow. Check the download image for errors before burning, and once you get to the point of booting from the CD, use the menu option to do further checks for errors.

fignig
September 14th, 2008, 06:30 AM
1. The 32-bit CD should work on a 64-bit CPU.
2. Common wisdom on these forums is to burn the CD at the slowest possible setting that your software will allow. Check the download image for errors before burning, and once you get to the point of booting from the CD, use the menu option to do further checks for errors.

how do i check the cd for errors?

abeisgreat
September 14th, 2008, 06:53 AM
how do i check the cd for errors?

I believe there is an option in the grub menu, if I am not mistaken. :)