PDA

View Full Version : [other] How to run GnomeDo on Windows

cnico88
September 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
I really like GnomeDo on my Ubuntu Desktop but when I am forced to use windows is there any app that will give me the same effect? I don't really like docks but GnomeDo is perfect, only if I could install it in windows. So I am looking for an XP/Vista app that would be similar. Thanks.

jordanmthomas
September 14th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Launchy perhaps?
It's not the exact same but it may hold you over until you can get back to Linux.

cnico88
September 14th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Launchy perhaps?
It's not the exact same but it may hold you over until you can get back to Linux.

Wow, launchy is pretty sweet. Is there any way to customize the associations of words to apps. For example ffx with firefox, PS with photoshop, etc?

snaggletooth
July 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
You probably have it figured out by now, but...

One way to do it is to create a folder of shortcuts with custom names. For example, create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\Adobe\...\PhotoShop.exe and name it PS.

Same with firefox, then name it whatever (for me, it's 'ff').

Then, have launchy index that folder for *.ink files.

That's it!

Cheers,

cszikszoy
July 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
I'm one of the GNOME Do developers and I've actually been working on the windows port lately with another person. We've made some pretty good progress and expect to release an early alpha for windows in the near future.

I've got a screenshot here:

http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1241194/windo1.png

EmpIzza
August 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I'm one of the GNOME Do developers and I've actually been working on the windows port lately with another person. We've made some pretty good progress and expect to release an early alpha for windows in the near future.

Got anything more on that alpha? =P

nhasian
August 27th, 2009, 09:58 AM
is it still gonna be called Gnome-Do? Or will you change it to Win-Do hehe

cszikszoy
August 28th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Got anything more on that alpha? =P
Sadly, no. I've taken some time to push some changes into the core of Do, so I haven't worked much on the windows port. There is, however, still a launchpad branch, and I've made a wiki page detailing how to get Do running on windows from source.

http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/Do_it_on_Windows

is it still gonna be called Gnome-Do? Or will you change it to Win-Do hehe
No, I don't think it'll still be called GNOME-Do on windows. We are sill working out a few naming related issues, so I'm not quite sure what it will be on Windows (or OSX for that matter).

parrimin
December 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi cszikszoy!

Thanks four your project, but... Im not able to compile it.

First, there is an error on intructions, it says:

type: bzr banch lp:~do-win/do/trunk

but it would say:

type: bzr branch lp:~do-win/do/trunk

Now, im trying to compile, but it says there is a reference to NUnit, but doesnt know what it is. Have I to add a reference to NUnit in some of the project? On which? And, this reference is a dll, is com object, is .net component?

Thank you, im nervous to test this port!

Sir Jasper
December 2nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Hi,

SlickRun has similarities and works with Windows and Wine 1.0.1 as well though Gnome-Do will also activate some Wine programs.

Find+Run Robot is also reputed to be outstandingly good.

Google either or both to try and ideally report back your level of satisfaction.

My regards