PDA

View Full Version : Gimp photo editing

amyst
September 14th, 2008, 05:07 AM
I wish to add rich colors and enhancements to a friend's photos, which are most landscapes. Can Gimp enhance ordinary photos with color effects like the one below?

Or should I use Photoshop? I don't know either well and want to use this chance to learn photo-editing.

cdsboy
September 14th, 2008, 05:11 AM
It is possible in the gimp, but it will take a while to teach yourself how to do it.

amyst
September 14th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks! Is it least worth to try to make ordinary photographs very artistic? The photographs are quite ordinary, taken with an ordinary camera. Do professionals edit photos using Gimp?

olskar
September 14th, 2008, 03:26 PM
The lack of CMYK support makes it a non-option for a lot of proffesionals. But only adding rich colors and small enhancements is certainly not a problem with gimp :)

Half-Left
September 14th, 2008, 03:33 PM
The lack of CMYK support makes it a non-option for a lot of proffesionals. But only adding rich colors and small enhancements is certainly not a problem with gimp :)

Your talking about Printing and when you print any picture from RGB in GIMP it comes out really nice to ordinary users.

GIMP is idea for this sort of enhancement for Photos, use Colour Curves or Level to enhance your pictures, Photoshop really has no advantage in this area other than really professional options which hardly anyone uses.

BTW, you dont need to be a professional to make photos look much better, you wouldn't be able to tell which image was enhanced in GIMP or Photoshop, dont give Photoshop to much credit for such a expensive application.

(Cyan Magenta Yellow blacK) The color space used for commercial printing and most color computer printers. In theory, cyan, magenta and yellow (CMY) can print all colors, but inks are not pure and black comes out muddy. The black ink (K) is required for quality printing. See color space, RGB and ink coverage.

amyst
September 14th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks! I'll post here the enhanced photo once I succeed, hopefully between 4-10 months ;)

Half-Left
September 14th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Just start to learn how to use Colour Curves and Levels, that in itself will get you a better Photo on it's own. This wont take you long at all, week at the most.

AJB2K3
September 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
There's no such thing as a photographer nowadays there are only photoshoppers.

If your so botherd about CMYK printing why don't you install the damn colour profile for your printer instead of bitching about lack of cmyk support.
BTW you get better prints using gray not black.

GyDA
September 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
There's no such thing as a photographer nowadays there are only photoshoppers.

I must disagree with this comment. When it comes to composition and expression no retouching will do the job for you, you either got the right moment in the right way or not - which might sound a bit arty and snob but these are the things that define a good photo and not the crispy colours or the right contrast.

Anyway, I'm browsing the forums for any any idea how to get/use/set up colour profiles in GIMP. I've installed the Separate plugin already but apparently it needs me to tell it where to load these profiles (.icc files...?) from.
Thanks!

AJB2K3
September 30th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I must disagree with this comment. When it comes to composition and expression no retouching will do the job for you, you either got the right moment in the right way or not - which might sound a bit arty and snob but these are the things that define a good photo and not the crispy colours or the right contrast.

Anyway, I'm browsing the forums for any any idea how to get/use/set up colour profiles in GIMP. I've installed the Separate plugin already but apparently it needs me to tell it where to load these profiles (.icc files...?) from.
Thanks!

You need to google for the profiles.
Windows hide its profile under the system32>spooler folder.
As to the first bit not its not snobbery but alot of the so called pro's don't have the eye so just photoshop to make what they need.

As to photo editing, I took this over the weekend.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/AJB2K3/droplets.jpg
After a bit of gimpidge I get
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/AJB2K3/droplets1.jpg
but due to lack of experience the image suffers from artifacting.
DISCLAMOUR:This image will never be allowed in a photography competition as it is an experiment in photo manipulation.

civetta
October 6th, 2008, 04:23 AM
amyst,

Why don't you post some of your attempts now? No need to have perfect results--nobody's going to bite your head off!

This could be a nice chance to get some helpful critique and tips from other photographers. I'd also like to know how others are dealing with common photo editing operations.

lyceum
October 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks! Is it least worth to try to make ordinary photographs very artistic? The photographs are quite ordinary, taken with an ordinary camera. Do professionals edit photos using Gimp?

This is a great question, one that my wife and I argue about all the time. She is a photographer, and I am a web designer. I use GIMP, I hate PhotoShop. She uses PhotoShop and thinks that GIMP is good, but not as good as PS. I do photography for websites and edit her photos as well. I have never had any issues with GIMP. So, some people may say PS is it, others will say GIMP is good enough. The truth is that it is all about preference and your client's needs.

AJB2K3
October 6th, 2008, 05:32 PM
...So, some people may say PS is it, others will say GIMP is good enough. ...

Something to remember

Some say its the dogs nads, others say it just nads

Half-Left
October 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Photoshop is not a option unless you want to pay aload of money for what GIMP can do for free. Serious professional and commercial work aside Photoshop shouldn't be a option anyway, I have no idea why people feel the need to edit photo's is such a monster of a app, maybe it's the "Cool" app to have because all the cool kids have it and for the most part illegally.

civetta
October 7th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Photoshop is not a option unless you want to pay aload of money for what GIMP can do for free. Serious professional and commercial work aside Photoshop shouldn't be a option anyway, I have no idea why people feel the need to edit photo's is such a monster of a app, maybe it's the "Cool" app to have because all the cool kids have it and for the most part illegally.

I have to agree. If you're not a professional, chances are photoshop is way more than you need, and the same goes for your fancy camera. On the other hand, tools like gimp give you an impressive number of tools (in a much smaller package) that will kick the *** of most of us when we're faced with our range of skills. Furthermore, all the skills you learn in gimp are directly transferable to photoshop, if you should ever decide that you need certain features...

which a few do, but the vast majority do not.

lyceum
October 8th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Something to remember

lol, good point. I have started using PS for work from time to time, and I have to say that GIMP is easier and does just as well as PS. But, I am not a photographer. To be honest, I cannot do the things in PS I can in GIMP, but that may have to do with the fact that I do not know it was well. I have tried to learn both, GIMP was way easier for me. My 2 cents is always try both, use the one you like. PS has a 30 day trial, and there are books at the library.

gimphoto
October 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
amyst,
for create photo effect like that try search GIMP Lomography script-fu or using GimPhoto for Linux that install Lomo script by default.