PDA

View Full Version : I just did sudo apt-get install -f e_e and my system doesn't work

Lord Xeb
September 14th, 2008, 01:43 AM
so I had to do a reinstall. Or would it have harmed anything?

zmjjmz
September 14th, 2008, 01:57 AM
What?

apt-cache search e_e
libxml-encoding-perl - Perl module for parsing encoding map XML files
lft - layer-four traceroute
libapache2-mod-line-edit - search-and-replace line editor module for apache 2
libapache2-mod-mime-xattr - Apache2 module to get MIME info from filesystem extended attributes
devscripts - Scripts to make the life of a Debian Package maintainer easier

Lord Xeb
September 14th, 2008, 02:15 AM
it started to remove everything on my machine e_e

LaRoza
September 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM

First, -f fixes broken packages and I see no package e_e

zmjjmz
September 14th, 2008, 02:20 AM
No comment.

voteforpedro36
September 14th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Well, seeing as how the command to remove is actually apt-get remove, and e_e isn't even a package (unless you meant e*e, which I guess would fix/install any packages the have two e's in the name), you're not the brightest bulb in the box.

smartboyathome
September 14th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I think the e_e is a smiley. He just ran sudo apt-get install -f, with nothing else after it. Reference: last post of Xeb's in this thread.

zmjjmz
September 14th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I think the e_e is a smiley.

Doesn't look very smiley to me.

smartboyathome
September 14th, 2008, 02:43 AM

In this post its used as a smiley, so I assume it is one in the topic as well. Even if it doesn't look like one.

voteforpedro36
September 14th, 2008, 02:46 AM

Exactly. But yeah, you're right. Either way, doesn't the fact that you're running apt-get install give anybody a clue? How is installing going to REMOVE your packages? Sorry but that's common sense. Sorry if I sound rude or anything, but...

So what does the option fix actually do? I would guess reinstall, which means it would remove broken packages, but why would it remove all packages?

Giant Speck
September 14th, 2008, 02:50 AM
It's a smiley.

What he's saying is that he typed sudo apt-get install -f into his terminal and pressed enter and now everything is screwed up.

Which doesn't make any sense to me. I actually used it the other day and it didn't delete all of my programs.

If you seriously cannot log into GUI, you could try logging into command prompt and typing sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (I think that's the package name for it. I don't really know, because I use Kubuntu), and it should reinstall all of your programs. Then, when it's done you can simply type gdm in order to get to the GUI login screen.

zmjjmz
September 14th, 2008, 02:51 AM
It's a smiley.
But, aren't smileys supposed to, you know, smile?

LaRoza
September 14th, 2008, 02:53 AM

emoticons are very diverse (that is probably the eastern style: http://en.wikipedia.org/)

Either way, they shouldn't be used with commands as commands are case sensitive and require precision.

Giant Speck
September 14th, 2008, 02:54 AM

I guess so, but smiley seems to encompass all of such "text pictures"

:)
:(
;)
:o
^_^
o.O
O_O
>.>
<.<

They're all smileys.

init1
September 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Well he uses it after nearly all posts he makes

Exactly. But yeah, you're right. Either way, doesn't the fact that you're running apt-get install give anybody a clue? How is installing going to REMOVE your packages? Sorry but that's common sense. Sorry if I sound rude or anything, but...

So what does the option fix actually do? I would guess reinstall, which means it would remove broken packages, but why would it remove all packages?
apt-get install -f fixes broken packages. So if he tried to install something that conflicted with something major, such as ubuntu-desktop, apt-get install -f would remove everything in ubuntu-desktop.

Riffer
September 14th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I think he uses the "@" to represent dimples.

LaRoza
September 14th, 2008, 04:41 AM
I think he uses the "@" to represent dimples.

Interesting, by they weren't used here ;)

Lord Xeb
September 14th, 2008, 05:45 AM
e_e means leering But yeah, things started to be removed. I have no idea why.... I think there was a * in the command but I do not remember

chris4585
September 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I had a friend on debian who tried installing compiz and for some reason it completely removed gnome, he had to manually reinstall those packages, the lesson is apt-get isn't perfect, or none of that would happen maybe send a bug report?

fmartinez
September 14th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I think the real question is why did he try to use the command in the first place.
- Did he try to install something that conflicted with another package?
- Did he try to install something and stop the installation mid way?
These actions may cause broken dependencies and you have to use the "sudo apt-get -f" to fix these.
If this is the case; whatever he tried to install previously is what really caused the issue.