PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microsoft office

jamie_landi
September 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I there anyway of installing office 97 on to a FUJITSU B-2154 laptop.

The laptop doesnt have a cd rom built in and i dont have the cash to buy a plug in one. could i put office onto a memory stick or link the laptop to a pc?

Many thanks
J

darco
September 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Is this a Windows question?.....
Forget Office, get OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) from Sun

good luck

darco

mike1234
September 13th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I there anyway of installing office 97 on to a FUJITSU B-2154 laptop.

The laptop doesnt have a cd rom built in and i dont have the cash to buy a plug in one. could i put office onto a memory stick or link the laptop to a pc?

Many thanks
J

Yes on both counts. I have a 1 gig USB flash drive that works great for such purposes. Just drag and drop contents of Office. As long as your USB is recognized.

M.

Bliepo32
September 13th, 2008, 05:21 PM
And if you really need Microsoft Office, you could try and use Crossover Office. Although I think it wasn't free...

BenAshton24
September 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
if this is a windows question then it probably shouldn't be in this part of the forum but i'm guessing you want to know if you can install it on ubuntu?
if so, you can install it using wine, if you put the setup files onto your USB pen drive, and install wine on your laptop

sudo apt-get install wine && winecfg
(run that command in terminal to install wine)
you can then launch the setup files (double click them) and it should allow you to install office just as you would on windows. most things appear to work with office 97, for more information about running office 97 in wine see "Ms Office 97 in wine appdb (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5143&iTestingId=27168)"

But whats wrong with open office that comes pre installed (well most of it) with Ubuntu?

Hope this helps, Ben.

ronnielsen1
September 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I think she's a Windows user