PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Cannot log in

Borsook
September 13th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Hi, My Xubuntu worked fine yesterday and today I cannot login, it throws my out under 10 secs, here is the error log:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
_IceTransmkdir: ERROR: (l)stat failed for /tmp/.ICE-unix (13)
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: mkdir(/tmp/.ICE-unix) failed, errno = 13
_IceTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local
xfce4-session: Unable to establish ICE listeners: Cannot establish any listening sockets

Pro-reason
September 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I don't know what is happening there.

Can you log in via the text terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1)? If so, you can try creating a new user (“sudo adduser johndoe”).

Borsook
September 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know what is happening there.

Can you log in via the text terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1)? If so, you can try creating a new user (“sudo adduser johndoe”).

I'll try that. First I thought it was something in x11-common but it appears to be intact, so tmp/.ICE-unix should be created at startup... BTW just to be on the safe side I tried chmod 177 /tmp/.ICE-unix as root but it displays I don't have a permission to that folder, and I can't chown it either... I may be rambling, it's just the only line from the error log that I understand :)

PS> Logging as different user gives the same result

Pro-reason
September 13th, 2008, 01:24 PM
If you don't have permissions, do “sudo chown” or “sudo chmod” on it.

Borsook
September 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM
If you don't have permissions, do “sudo chown” or “sudo chmod” on it.

yes of course, this is what I did, logged to the terminal as root, run those with sudo and still got permission error...

Pro-reason
September 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM
yes of course, this is what I did, logged to the terminal as root, run those with sudo and still got permission error...

Is “sudo” failing generally? Can you, for example, do “sudo ls”?

Pro-reason
September 13th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Is /tmp/ on the same partition as /?

Can you chmod other files in /tmp/?

Can you install another desktop environment (Xfce, Openbox...) and log in to it?

Borsook
September 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Is /tmp/ on the same partition as /?

Can you chmod other files in /tmp/?

Can you install another desktop environment (Xfce, Openbox...) and log in to it?

Sudo is working fine with the only exception of that folder, tmp is indeed on the same partition as /, XFCE is installed it being Xubuntu :) installing any other DE is not a good idea, it's a very old PC with a 2.2 GB HDD.

Pro-reason
September 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Sudo is working fine with the only exception of that folder, tmp is indeed on the same partition as /, XFCE is installed it being Xubuntu :) installing any other DE is not a good idea, it's a very old PC with a 2.2 GB HDD.

Openbox and Fluxbox are extremely light (much more so than Xfce), so there would probably be room, even on your machine.