PDA

View Full Version : C++, cin from file, output to a file

Sharpiedeluxe
September 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Okay, so I'm writing this program, and basically I want to test it with a bunch of text files, and make sure that the output is valid. So, I've been using

$ a.out < test.file > test.output 2> test.error

this is correct right? However, when I compare files, it appears that test.file is completely blank with nothing inside, as if it wasn't even taking stdin at all. However, if I run the program, immediately it prompts for input. Any suggestions? the code generally looks like:

while (!cin.eof())
{
cin >> user_data;
cin >> user_data2;
}

this is the only thing in the code that I would see a problem with :( Any help would be great. Thanks.

edit: Just found out that I get this if I output to an error file "<stdin>:106: warning: no newline at end of file", unfortunately, if its complaining about line 106, that's right in the middle of some code, so adding more lines doesn't help.

bfhicks
September 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I have a little trick you might like.

When first writing the program, I just want to compile & run, not worry about providing input. So, I add two lines to the top of my code.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

ifstream fin("cube.txt");
#define cin fin

int main()
{
string line;
while (getline(cin,line))
{
cout << line << endl;
}

return 1;
}

To run this, I'll do:

./test
Then, I can check the output as it prints out to verify it.

Now, I'm ready to script it to run with a bunch of files, then I'll comment out two lines:

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

//ifstream fin("cube.txt");
//#define cin fin

int main()
{
string line;
while (getline(cin,line))
{
cout << line << endl;
}

return 1;
}

Run program: provide input and save the output.

./test < cube.txt > cube_out.txt

dribeas
September 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
$ a.out < test.file > test.output 2> test.error

this is correct right? However, when I compare files, it appears that test.file is completely blank with nothing inside, as if it wasn't even taking stdin at all.

Just to make sure we are clean on redirections: when you redirect input _from_ a file, the file must have the contents before hand, they are read and passed to the program as if a user was just typing those same characters on the console.

$ cat > file.txt << EOF
This is a file
with three lines
and this is the third line.
EOF
$ cat < file.txt # uses file.txt as user input
This is a file
with three lines
$ cat < file.txt > file2.txt # creates file2.txt with the output above
$ cat file2.txt # checks the contents of newly created file2.txt
This is a file
with three lines

Sharpiedeluxe
September 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Right, I made sure that the input files were correct (no newlines at the bottom), and that I could cat them to the terminal. However, I renamed all the files with different extensions. Previously, they were .file, and after naming them to .txt, they all worked with the program. :confused: Doesn't make too much sense to me unfortunately xD But thanks for all the help.