PDA

View Full Version : is there any other alternative to limewire and frostwire

imgkg
September 13th, 2008, 04:19 AM
my limewire and frostwire applications are crashing on startup can you all please suggest some good alternative to these two applications for downloading music

MaxIBoy
September 13th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Well, bittorrent clients are superior in terms of download speed and memory usage, and as an added bonus they're nowhere near as feature-heavy. Most bittorent clients don't have search functions or library functions or launch functions or internal media players, at least as far as I know. (That's a good thing.)

To start a download, search for the torrent, you will get a very small .torrent file to open with the bittorent client. The program uses the .torrent file to start downloading, you should get a "save as" window.

The bittorent client I use is Transmission, which comes with Ubuntu 8.04.

C!oud
September 13th, 2008, 04:41 AM
The Soulseek network depending on what room you are in really has a great community. Install the linux version Nicotine+ from apt-get. Because all downloads are a direct connection between two people downloads tend to be slower depending on who you are downloading from since the music isn't seeded.

smartboyathome
September 13th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I hope you aren't downloading music illegally through Frostwire. That isn't tollerated on the forum, and will result in this thread being locked.

MaxIBoy
September 13th, 2008, 04:48 AM
There's plenty of artists who put their music up for free.

smartboyathome
September 13th, 2008, 05:01 AM
There's plenty of artists who put their music up for free.

I know, but if your using Frostwire/Limewire, your usually getting music illegally. After all, places like jamendo allow you to get songs for free from artists. It isn't very easy to find free (as in freedom) and original music on Frostwire.

doorknob60
September 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Here's a good alternative: http://amazon.com/mp3

rsambuca
September 13th, 2008, 06:24 AM
gtk-gnutella is a peer-to-peer app the uses the same network as frostwire. Because it isn't written in java, it uses much less system resources and loads faster. It is in the standard repos.

Oldsoldier2003
September 13th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Lets not jump to making accusations prematurely. Not all P2P activity is illegal. If this thread crosses into illegal territory we will of course act on it as was stated earlier in the thread, but for now I don't see a problem.

imgkg
September 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM
well its not for illegal stuff as far as i am concerned neither i am going to commercialize anything

Canis familiaris
September 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
i never mentioned i am downloading illegal stuff i knew it someone would say that
That is the downside of discussion of these technoligies. People tend to lean over the negative sides much more than positive sides,much like Nuclear Physics.

imgkg
September 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM
i had to edit it that too so i removed that statement at all because too many cooks spoil the broth

awakatanka
September 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I hope you aren't downloading music illegally through Frostwire. That isn't tollerated on the forum, and will result in this thread being locked.

Internet is also used for illegally thing, so we can't talk about anything then related to Internet, Hmm even every OS can be used to do illegal thing this forum is obsolete :lolflag:

Apollon can be used also https://wiki.ubuntu.com/P2PFileSharing

david_lynch
September 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
my limewire and frostwire applications are crashing on startup can you all please suggest some good alternative to these two applications for downloading musicThat's odd, limewire has always worked well for me. I just confirmed that limewire pro v4.18 works perfectly on my suse 11.0 box as well as my ubuntu intrepid test box.

Can you post the error messages you get when you try to run limewire?

imgkg
September 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM
here is the error i am getting
:~$ limewire
Starting LimeWire...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
Suitable java version found [java = 1.6.0_07]
Configuring environment...
Loading LimeWire:
./runLime.sh: line 124: 7689 Segmentation fault ${JAVA_PROGRAM_DIR}java -ea -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons .logging.impl.NoOpLog -Djava.library.path=. $EXECUTABLE -jar LimeWire.jar $ARGUMENTS

Something went wrong with LimeWire.
Maybe you're using the wrong version of Java?
(LimeWire is tested against and works best with with Sun's JRE, Java 1.5+)
The version of Java in your PATH is:
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)

:~$

billgoldberg
September 13th, 2008, 11:29 AM
gtk-gnutella is a peer-to-peer app the uses the same network as frostwire. Because it isn't written in java, it uses much less system resources and loads faster. It is in the standard repos.

Yes, I tried gtk-gnutella before.

It isn't as easy to use and seems to produce a lot less results than froswtire.

I myself use frostwire and nicotine plus and of course torrents. Or I just download music directly off youtube using pytube media converter (allows you to save youtube videos as .mp3).

billgoldberg
September 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Internet is also used for illegally thing, so we can't talk about anything then related to Internet, Hmm even every OS can be used to do illegal thing this forum is obsolete :lolflag:

Apollon can be used also https://wiki.ubuntu.com/P2PFileSharing

Nobody is mentioning illegal downloads.

Also, downloading music or videos isn't considered illegal in a lot of countries.

Not everyone here is american or british.

nick09
September 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
imgkg I think you are running 64 bit java. Install 32bit java and you should be good to go(search the forums).

vikrant82
September 13th, 2008, 01:26 PM
mldonkey works best for me.

rsambuca
September 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Yes, I tried gtk-gnutella before.

It isn't as easy to use and seems to produce a lot less results than froswtire.
I don't know how that is possible since it uses the same network.

MaxIBoy
September 13th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I'm interested now, because most of the results for frostwire searches are junk. That's the main reason I use torrents. And also because frostwire is sloooow. (Actually, those same reasons are why I switched from limewire to frostwire.)

imgkg
September 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM
i am using nicotine plus now cant have preview but rest all goes fine

bp1509
September 14th, 2008, 05:57 AM
d

lisati
September 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I'm interested now, because most of the results for frostwire searches are junk. That's the main reason I use torrents. And also because frostwire is sloooow. (Actually, those same reasons are why I switched from limewire to frostwire.)

And many of the results I've had with Frostwire/Limewire contain malware....

imgkg
September 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
i am trying apollon now i guess it can have multiple networks

segalion
September 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Absolutely certain: mldonkey or mlnet is the best edonkey/bittorrent client ever.

- It consume less CPU and memory than other, can have a lot of interfaces (cli-telnet, web interface, gui like sancho, etc.)

- Its fully featured.

- Its multiprotocol (edonkey and bittorrent client in one program, but even more p2p protocols are supported).

- Itīs solid as a rock.