PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Thank you replies.

lovinglinux
September 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Since the forum has the "thank you feature" I was wondering if it is a consensus that, if we don't have anything to add to a thread but would like to say thanks to the last poster, we should only use the "thank you feature" instead of posting "Thank you"?

The thing is that the support on this forums are superb and I want to show my appreciation when someone helps me, but at the same time I don't want to increase the number of meaningless posts.

Most of the time I can't control myself and hit the "thank you" button and post a reply to say thanks.

LaRoza
September 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
You can do both if you wish.

Thanking is handy for much advice, so you can give thanks to individual posts, whereas a post is more global.

You wouldn't want to post a "thank you" to each time a person posts (say, if they are walking you through something) as that would be cluttering for example.

Oldsoldier2003
September 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Since the forum has the "thank you feature" I was wondering if it is a consensus that, if we don't have anything to add to a thread but would like to say thanks to the last poster, we should only use the "thank you feature" instead of posting "Thank you"?

The thing is that the support on this forums are superb and I want to show my appreciation when someone helps me, but at the same time I don't want to increase the number of meaningless posts.

Most of the time I can't control myself and hit the "thank you" button and post a reply to say thanks.
In my opinion posting a thank you to the folks that have helped you work out an issue then marking the thread [Solved] are two great things to do. The extra post isn't that big of a deal :)

billgoldberg
September 12th, 2008, 10:10 PM
In my opinion posting a thank you to the folks that have helped you work out an issue then marking the thread [Solved] are two great things to do. The extra post isn't that big of a deal :)

Agreed.

lovinglinux
September 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Thank you all :mrgreen:

caljohnsmith
September 12th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Just one other thought that hasn't been mentioned: if I happen to post something that helps a user solve their problem, and if they just use the thank-you feature, sometimes I don't know if they ever solved their problem or what happened unless I go back and look at the thread; whereas if they post even a small thank-you or anything (even a simple "it worked") in addition to using the thank-you feature, then I'm alerted about it because I've subscribed to the thread and the thread gets bumped to the top. Since I tend to be involved in a lot of threads, that makes a big difference. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. :)

lovinglinux
September 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Just one other thought that hasn't been mentioned: if I happen to post something that helps a user solve their problem, and if they just use the thank-you feature, sometimes I don't know if they ever solved their problem or what happened unless I go back and look at the thread; whereas if they post even a small thank-you or anything (even a simple "it worked") in addition to using the thank-you feature, then I'm alerted about it because I've subscribed to the thread and the thread gets bumped to the top. Since I tend to be involved in a lot of threads, that makes a big difference. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. :)

Good point

pp.
September 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM
At times it's not all that obvious how exactly the original problem was solved. In that case, not only the person who contributed to the solution would be interested to know how, but also any other members who wanted to solve the same or similar problems.

And please do not thank me for this rather trivial contribution. As a matter of fact, I do not think that thanking everyone who said anything in this thread is a good idea.

lovinglinux
September 13th, 2008, 12:03 AM
And please do not thank me for this rather trivial contribution. As a matter of fact, I do not think that thanking everyone who said anything in this thread is a good idea.

Well, there is already a BUMP thread... :mrgreen:

BTW, thank you.

Joeb454
September 13th, 2008, 12:09 AM

BTW, thank you.

That made me lol :lol:

doas777
September 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM
well, i like the thank you posts, because they tell outside viewers that the fix was sucessful and might be right for them too.

when you view old topics (searched for from google or whereever), all the extra information like "Thanks" is stripped out, unless you click a link at the top.

either way doesn't really matter. pressing a button is not nearly so polite as leaving a post and pressing a button after all.

Therion
September 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm not above sending a poster a PM if I feel they've helped me out.

If you've helped me out in some way, you're damn well gonna hear about it!!!

Soooooo... Yeah.