PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Uninstalling KDE also removes OpenOffice

marty1011
September 12th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Hello everyone,
few months ago I was playing with KDE and GNOME and decided to settle with GNOME. So I uninstalled KDE and in the process I lost OpenOffice (I fixed that issue :)). But just fixing the issue has left me unsatisfied. Now I want to know what exactly went wrong. Uninstalling the KDE should only remove WM and DE related files.

I used
sudo aptitude install kubuntu desktopto install and
sudo aptitude remove kubuntu desktopto uninstall KDE.

Should I have used apt-get instead (I read somewhere that using aptitude for metapackages are better than apt-get).

Also, having more than one DE creates a mess in the menue, especially in GNOME. Is there any way to make it cleaner?

Thanks!

cdtech
September 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM
To prevent KDE apps from showing up in Gnome menus and vice-versa, do the following:

If you use the Gnome desktop (like I do) try this:

Make a backup:

mkdir ~/.desktopbackup
cp -R /usr/share/applications/ ~/.desktopbackup
On a command line type:

for i in /usr/share/applications/kde/*; do echo "OnlyShowIn=KDE;" | sudo tee -a $i; done
You could also do the same with KDE by changing it to:

for i in /usr/share/applications/*; do echo "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;" | sudo tee -a $i; done

Hope this helps.........

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Hello everyone,
few months ago I was playing with KDE and GNOME and decided to settle with GNOME. So I uninstalled KDE and in the process I lost OpenOffice (I fixed that issue :)). But just fixing the issue has left me unsatisfied. Now I want to know what exactly went wrong. Uninstalling the KDE should only remove WM and DE related files.

I used
sudo aptitude install kubuntu desktopto install and
sudo aptitude remove kubuntu desktopto uninstall KDE.

Should I have used apt-get instead (I read somewhere that using aptitude for metapackages are better than apt-get).

Also, having more than one DE creates a mess in the menue, especially in GNOME. Is there any way to make it cleaner?

Thanks!

In this case yes apt might have been better.
as for you menu entries, if you remove your KDE files such as kdebase and the like you should be able to have less clutter.