PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bind key to set Song rating in Amarok

Meetloaf13
September 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Allright this is a LONG-shot methinks.

Since I am attempting to migrate to Ubuntu full-time, I do not want to go through my entire library (again) to re-rate songs I enjoy listening to. I have it mostly done in my Itunes install in Vista, and I haven't found a way of migrating those ratings/playlists to Amarok.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to bind keystrokes, say Ctrl+Alt+1...2,3,4,5,etc so that when I press those, it sets the rating in Amarok to the corresponding number of stars.

Hopefully someone could get their genious on!

Thanks

Het Irv
September 12th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Wow, that is sorta an ambitious idea, but if work it would be awesome. I have both Amarok and Amarok 2 (beta) installed on my Lappy so I am going to go press some buttons now and see what happens.

If you find anything, post it cause I would like to know as well.

Het Irv
September 12th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Looking at my Install of Amarok I seem to have either lost my ratings column or it was never there, but I did find a place where you can configure a keyboard shortcut for the ratings. Tools -> Configure Global Shortcuts, By default it is set to Win 1-5. but win 1-3 is the shortcut for zoom so I reset mine to Win 6-0. Try that on for size.

Meetloaf13
September 12th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Oh man, that is sexy! I think Itunes might be a thing of the past!

BTW, I just bound mine to WIN+F# keys instead of just the numbers (to avoid conflicts with other global hooks.

Oh yes, and to get "ratings" back, go to Configure Amarok, on the first screen check use ratings.

Thanks again, awesome!

Het Irv
September 12th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for that tip, If you like Amarok you should look into Amarok 2 Beta. They have nightly builds that pull the First Amarok to shame. And you can do the same keybinding. Sorry I can't remember where the link is, but I think its the dev's blog.

Meetloaf13
September 13th, 2008, 03:16 AM
for migrating Itunes Libraries!
http://code.google.com/p/itunes2amarok/

for speeding up amarok database:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/speed-up-amarok-with-large-music-collections/

As far as Amarok 2 is concerned, I think I'm going to hold off for now. Apparently, the ability to migrate your music database via a script will be as they get closer to version 2 (or distributed when v2 releases). I think I read on the page that v2 will only support MySQL databases.

Ciao!

P.S. Amarok is quickly becoming 'most favorite'! :guitar: