PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] What do all these theme options mean?

phr0ze
September 12th, 2008, 06:02 PM
I have visited gnome-look.org and I'm not sure what I can and can't use. I have a laptop that won't run compiz.

I'm not sure what this all really means to me...

GTK 1.x, GTK 2.x, Matacity, Beryl, GDM Themes, Desklets, Screenlets.

Can you point me to here I need to go? Or can you tell me the difference between these?

I looked around and can't find a wiki to explain the differences. I realize desklets and screenlets aren't themes but I don't know the difference between them either.

Thanks,
John

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Simplistic terms:
GTK1: the old gnome theme library
GTK2: Modern gnome themes
Metacity: window decoration
beryl: emerald themes (emerald is another window deccorator)
GDM: themes your log in manager
Desklets/ screenlets: both are desktop apps similar to widgets in OSX and gadgets in Vista.
The two differ greatly, one is more compiz based (screenlets) and desklets is native to Gnome.

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I have visited gnome-look.org and I'm not sure what I can and can't use. I have a laptop that won't run compiz.

I'm not sure what this all really means to me...

GTK 1.x, GTK 2.x, Matacity, Beryl, GDM Themes, Desklets, Screenlets.

Can you point me to here I need to go? Or can you tell me the difference between these?

I looked around and can't find a wiki to explain the differences. I realize desklets and screenlets aren't themes but I don't know the difference between them either.

Thanks,
John

Gtk 1.x and Gtk 2.x, are the normal themes used by Gnome, it provides the Window, scroll bars, and interface. Metacity is the whole them engine, and also the title bar at the top.

Beryl, is Compiz themes, or the title bar at the top, but you can't run Effects correct.

GDM, is the login screen, the first thing you see after you are loaded up.

Desklets and Screenlets provide Widgets, like weather forecasts, and monitoring tools.

I hope this helped you some.

phr0ze
September 12th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks. So on a non compiz machine I should stick to GTK 2, Metacity, and Desklets. Also I can't use Emerald(Beryl), or screenlets?

I'm still not sure about the difference in Metacity and GTK 2. But this is a huge start so I will figure it out.

Thanks again for the help.

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks. So on a non compiz machine I should stick to GTK 2, Metacity, and Desklets. Also I can't use Emerald(Beryl), or screenlets?

I'm still not sure about the difference in Metacity and GTK 2. But this is a huge start so I will figure it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacity , all about metacity. Yes stick to GTK 2 and And Metacity, and emerald won't work without Compiz enabled.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:30 PM

well yes if you cant run effects then screnlets and emerald/beryl/ compiz themes are useles.
Now it is possible to get screnlets working without effects, but they dont look as clean.
As for GTK2 and Metacty, like I said GTK2 is your theming engine and Metacity is the window deccoration/ manager.
GTK2 themes give you themes for scrollbars/ toolbars/ etc and Metacity provides how the decoration around your windows looks.
Metacity is the default window manager for gnome as well, read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacity