PDA

View Full Version : I received an email saying I won 1 million dollars and I replied

Exsecrabilus
September 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM
An email appeared in my Gmail account yesterday, saying I won 1 million dollars. Gmail classified it as spam, and I know it is, but just for the sake of pitying the failure of this person who actually thinks I am an innocent person thinking that I actually won 1 million dollars, I replied.

The email I received said:

Title: Congratulations Lucky Winner
THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR EMAIL ID WON ONE MILLION POUNDS FROM THE
NATIONAL LOTTERY, CONTACT LINDA HILLS ON EMAIL :lindahills001@gmail.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION'S TO CLAIM PRIZE WITH YOUR NAME, ADDRESS,
PHONE,OCCUPATION,COUNTRY. THANKS. SONIA GIBSON

I replied:

YES! I can't believe I won! Thank you so much! I bought that ticket from that little cart on the road, but I didn't actually think I'd win!

NAME: Samuel L. Wohlyon
ADDRESS: 17 Mount Joy
PHONE: 1-914-723-6539

Can you convert pre-convert the pounds to dollars for me?

P.S. What time is the money coming in by?

By the way, is this real? Not a scam or anything right? Thanks again!

I forgot about it. But today, I opened up my mailbox, and HA! She replied to my reply!

UK National Lottery,
2 Lansdowne Row,
Berkeley Square,
London, W1J 6H,
United Kingdom,
WINNING PARAMETERS
Ref : UK/776090X2/23
Batch: 013/05/8394369

Congratulations Samuel L. Wohlyon,

On Behalf of the Screening Committee of United Kingdom National Lottery, I wish to formally inform you that you have successfully passed the Email Screening and Verification Matching Test conducted for all online winners in your winning in accordance with the United Kingdom National Lottery Terms and Conditions. Hence you are therefore cleared for payment by the verifications and fund release department at the United Kingdom National Lottery Headquarters and your winnings has been duly signed and approved for release to you by the legal attorney to the United Kingdom National Lottery.

Your approved winning Certificate number is UK/9876125
Your winning Transfer Identification code is ELPC/MWT/0143.

As you already know, all winners for the online version of the United Kingdom National Lottery Online promotions were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from an exclusive list of 21,000 e-mail addresses of individual and corporate bodies listed online as part of our international promotion to promote international co-operation between the United Kingdom and other countries worldwide and I must say that you should count yourself extremely lucky to have emerged as one of our winners in this week's lucky dip sweepstakes and we do sincerely hope you will put part of your winnings into good use for community, educational and business development and also to render selfless services to the less privileged in your community.

The process for claiming your winnings has been made very simple so that by the end of one week at most, you are assured of having received your cash prize of the sum of £1,000,000.00 Pounds Sterling and all the legal documents backing your winnings. In the light of the above mentioned, you are to contact the the Agency that will be handling the transfer of your winning to you with the contact informations below:

CONTACT INFORMATION:-
UK FAST DELIVERY SERVICE
Timber Kilmallie Mill Corpach Ft William PH33 7NH
UK,ENGLAND
Marc Kenneth
TELL: +447031914262
EMAIL: marc_kenneth44@live.com

Note that you are to provide the Lottery Winners Agency that will be handling the transfer of your winning with the required details below to officially identify you:

1) Winner's Full Names:
2) Present Full Address:
3) Telephone Number:
4) Raffle Draw Winning Email:
5) Amount Won:
6) Winning Reference Number:
7) Winning Batch Number:
8) Winning Transfer Identification code: ELPC/MWT/0143
9) Winning Certificate Number: UK/9876125

Note that there exists a periodic condition on all claims process; therefore you have limited time to claim your winnings. Failure to claim your winnings within the stipulated time frame will lead to the forfeiture of your winnings after which your winnings remitted back to the United Kingdom National Lottery Headquarters and will then be added to next winning draws. Also kindly be aware that the United Kingdom National Lottery winning prizes are regulated by the Financial Services Authority and as a result, you are advice to follow the Lottery Claims Terms and Conditions to ensure the remittance of your prize to you within the stipulated time of the claiming of winnings.

Further to this, due to some recent miss-up of some winning numbers, as a Prize winner and according to the United Kingdom National Lottery Terms and Conditions, you are only privy to your winnings informations and your winnings transfer information in order to avoid any form of double claiming and misappropriation of your winnings, hence the release of your winning informations to a third party(friends and family members inclusive) is absolutely ruled out as this will lead give room to double claiming by a third party which is against the United Kingdom National Lottery Terms and Conditions. You are hereby advice to keep your winning information personal from any third parties (friends and family members inclusive) until your winnings have been remitted to you.

Lastly, I will require a concise update on your proceedings with the Agency that will be handling the transfer of your winning. If you need any assistance whatsoever from this office, please do not hesitate to inform me.

Yours Sincerely,
Mr Adams Bayleys
Accredited Fiduciary Agent
Confidentiality Notice:
Please note that this email and any files that may be attached to it is/are confidential and is/are intended for the sole use of the individual(s) or entity (is) to which it/they is/are addressed. Any use,distribution,copying or disclosure by any other person or entity is strictly prohibited under applicable law(s).Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to official business of NATIONAL LOTTERY and insurance shall be understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NATIONAL LOTTERY finance and insurance when addressed to concern finance and insurance clients; and any information contained in this email is subject to the terms and conditions of the governing client's contract(s).

United Kingdom National Lottery
COPYRIGHT © 1994-2008ALL RIGHT RESERVED

And the winners of the National Lottery Awards are ...

One reason you can obviously see why this lottery is fake is because the above email I received answers none of the questions I asked or request. (e.g. I asked her to change the pounds into US dollars, and I also asked "this isn't a scam or anything right?" (Because the average innocent person would still be doubtful. This gives a reality touch.) The foolish scammer just copied and pasted the message from a DOC file she saved. If you saw the actual second email, (not this copy and paste) you would also notice the different font types. This doesn't happen on formal, business-related emails. Another mistake I made but "Linda Hills" failed to recognize is I said "I bought that lottery ticket on a cart on the road, but I didn't actually think I'd win!" but in her second email, it says this is a lottery based on email.

Now, my question to you. How should I respond to the second email that I got?

Canis familiaris
September 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Simple. DONT.

toupeiro
September 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I hope you like Jail, and hosting the FBI for dinner. :)

karellen
September 12th, 2008, 04:57 PM
why bother responding?

koenn
September 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I hope you like Jail, and hosting the FBI for dinner. :)

If someone tells you you've won 1 000 000 £, and you say 'OK, I'll take it', is that illegal ?

Bölvağur
September 12th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I don't know how you should reply. I remember 2 guys in a radio show replying to scams from Nigaria claiming to be Harrison Ford and somehow managed to turn this into a soap opera with this scammer and actors phoning him.

So if you could make this person start writing you in person we could have a great laugh and say that your uncle Thomas Edison is able to pick up the money because he has a big plastic bag... or wheelbarrows. He'll pick up half of the money and the rest goes into your bank account number which he will deliver when he comes.

*edit*
of course the wheel under the wheelbarrows breaks or the plastic bag gets torn so he is unable to pick up the money. And without him being able to pick it up you will not give any id.. or bank number or some... dunno. They need to send Thomas Edison a new plastic bag...

Npl
September 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Considering scammers try millions of random email addresses, without knowing they even exist (think about taking names from a phonebook and add @aol.com, @hotmail.com) I hereby congratulate you to having your address promoted from "lets try once or twice" to "confirmed victim that even reads our crap" in alot of scammers-databases.

Kevbert
September 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Just don't reply as then they'll get additional info on you.
It's a scam. Just google the phone number and you'll find a few more 'winners'.

Exsecrabilus
September 12th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I know this is a scam. I'm not actually trying to receive the 1 million dollars. I just want to know how to get back at this guy.

god0fgod
September 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
lol Some idiot sent me mail requesting I sent one million dollars to them for thew UN. I said for them to meet me under the London eye at someday.

tom66
September 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Quite funny. The reason for doing what you are doing is to waste the scammer's time, right? Good. Cause as much cost and time wasting as you can to the scammer. If they have to deal with you they will catch less victims.

toupeiro
September 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
If someone tells you you've won 1 000 000 £, and you say 'OK, I'll take it', is that illegal ?

You can be, and 99.9% surely will be investigated for money laundering. Your communique will be researched with a fine tooth comb, and if there is any part of that communique that looks suspecious, Yes you absolutely can and will be brought up on said charges. If you want to dance on those kind of hot coals, be my guest, but you should research the penalties for money laundering before you say, "OK I'll take it!"

jespdj
September 12th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Have a look at http://www.419eater.com/

A website for people who have playing with scammers as their hobby.

ThrobbingBrain66
September 12th, 2008, 06:03 PM
You can be, and 99.9% surely will be investigated for money laundering. Your communique will be researched with a fine tooth comb, and if there is any part of that communique that looks suspecious, Yes you absolutely can and will be brought up on said charges. If you want to dance on those kind of hot coals, be my guest, but you should research the penalties for money laundering before you say, "OK I'll take it!"

You must be a blast at parties.

I suppose the FBI could drum up any sort of charges they want over something like this. But the fact is that unless they have something solid linking him to a scam like this, they won't waste their time. And it has to be more solid than "Yes, I can't believe I won! What do I have to do to get my money?".

timcredible
September 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I know this is a scam. I'm not actually trying to receive the 1 million dollars. I just want to know how to get back at this guy.

sounds like you want to get some ideas from http://419eater.com, it's a website where people that like to mess with scammers tell how they do it.

edit: just noticed that someon already posted same info, sorry for the double posting.

LaRoza
September 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Spam baiting can be fun. A few people even con them into giving them money!

sefs
September 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
What mystifies me is why you are responding using your legit email.

Please...set up a fake one and go from there. Don't be silly.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
September 12th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Have a look at http://www.419eater.com/

A website for people who have playing with scammers as their hobby.

Yeah, I like their stories very much :))

Icehuck
September 12th, 2008, 07:20 PM
If you can get him to do something like this, it would be very entertaining.

http://419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm

I still think thats the best one.

caravel
September 12th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Ok here's my latest one:

From Mrs Maria Elena Fernandez,

I am the above named person from Philippine. I am married to Mr. Rodolfo
FERNANDEZ who worked with Philippine embassy in Kuwait for nine years
before we left to Philippine where he was re-appointed as a navy officer
before his untimely death in the year 2005.

We were married for eleven years without a child. He died in his home
country Philippine after a brief illness that lasted for only four days
Before his death we were both born again Christian. Since his death I
decided not to remarry or get a child outside my matrimonial home which
the Bible is against. When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum
of $7.3Musd (Seven Million Three Hundred Thousand U.S. Dollars) in cash
concealed in a trunk box and deposits it with a Security Company in
Abidjan Cote d'ivoire (West Africa) which he declare and register it as
family valuables.

Recently, my Doctor told me that i have serious sickness which is cancer
problem. The one that disturbs me most is the high blood preasure
sickness. Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a
church or individual that will utilize this money the way I am going to
instruct herein. I want a church or individual that will use this fund for
orphanages, widows,propagating the word of God and to endeavor that the
house of God is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that "Blessed
is the hand that giveth" I took this decision because I don't have any
child that will inherit this money and my husband relatives are not
Christians and I don't want my husband's efforts to be used by
unbelievers. This is why I am taking this decision to contact you.

I am not afraid of death hence I know where I am going. I know that I am
going to be in the bosom of the Lord. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord
will fight my case and I shall hold my peace". I don't need any telephone
communication for security purpose until this mission is accomplished.

With God all things are possible. As soon as I receive your reply with
full assurance of your assistance, I shall give you the legal proof of
this matter and contact of the security company here in Abidjan where he
deposited the trunk box. I will also issue you an authority letter that
will prove you the present and legal beneficiary of this trunk box(fund).
I want you and the church to always pray for me because the lord is my
shephard. My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian.
Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in Spirit and Truth.

Hoping to receive your reply.

Remain blessed in the Lord.
Yours in Christ,
Mrs Maria Elena Fernandez

Exsecrabilus
September 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
What mystifies me is why you are responding using your legit email.

Please...set up a fake one and go from there. Don't be silly.
Isn'it be human to respond to an email with the account that received the email?

For example, if you send me a PM, I can show my friend the PM, he can copy and paste it, put the [QUOTE]s tags around it, and send you a response? Won't you be puzzled like "wtf who is this guy how does he have a copy of my pms omg hacker!!!"

barbedsaber
September 13th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I don't know how you should reply. I remember 2 guys in a radio show replying to scams from Nigaria claiming to be Harrison Ford and somehow managed to turn this into a soap opera with this scammer and actors phoning him.

My dad did that, (he is the now ex breakfast show presenter for mix 160.3 in canberra, australia). they wanted a picture, so he sent one of a famous cricketer, XD.

fatality_uk
September 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
1. Thanks for encouraging a spammer.

2. Bear in mind one of the reasons that I AM NOT getting the internet that is as good as possible it that ISP's are spending time having to deal with this kind of crap, "as part of their customer service" and the people who perpetuate it.

3. Do you think that there is a Nigerian sitting in front a PC reading these thing? Spamming has moved on. They send tens of thousands of emails and use very sophisticated software, usually on infected PC's (AGAIN clogging up the net) to scan read and extract information and respond.

The foolish scammer just copied and pasted the message from a DOC file she saved ????? She ????? You mean IT

419eater was started years ago when, in fact many spammers had teams to read and digest this crap. So a conversation was possible. Now, until you give details of your bank account for instance, which the spammers software knows all countries sort codes and account format type, then you are more than likely just trying to fool a bot.

And thanks for using Gmail. Making contact means that Google will now get 1,000's more crap email that it has to identify as spam because you have responded making the inbuilt spam filter for Google work harder.