PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Supported printers

tallpaul66
September 12th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Is there a list somewhere of how well different printers work in Ubuntu? I have 2 Lexmark printers. Both are listed in the "add printers" list but neither one works for me. I guess that means I need to get a new printer but I want to make sure I get one that will work pretty much out of the box. I don't care much whether it is laser or inkjet as long as I can get the proper drivers for it.
Paul in Pa

tallpaul66
September 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I found the page I was looking for.

http://openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

halitech
September 12th, 2008, 04:09 PM
stay away from Lexmark as very ver few of them work. HP is usually a good bet and some of the better Xerox printers will work as well. I have an Epson that works fine (when I have ink for it :( )

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM
HP is a best bet, anyhow I never found Lexmark to be a good printer maker anyway, their models blow.

bumanie
September 12th, 2008, 04:26 PM
HP definitely has the best linux support, especially for debian based distro's like ubuntu.

halitech
September 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
HP is a best bet, anyhow I never found Lexmark to be a good printer maker anyway, their models blow.

+1

not to mention the ink is expensive to buy. I have an X2230 3in1 and I only paid 69.00 for it and it costs around 120 to buy ink for it

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 04:45 PM
+1

not to mention the ink is expensive to buy. I have an X2230 3in1 and I only paid 69.00 for it and it costs around 120 to buy ink for it

Plus for me every time I used a lexmark I got stripy printouts that were miscolored...
ugh.

halitech
September 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I didn't find the prints bad until the ink got low which seems to happen pretty fast on them

LowSky
September 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM
+1

I find it funny how a printer (with ink in the box) cost less than replacement ink. And they wonder why we are a throw away society. Lexmark is one of the work printer companies, the sell crap and expect people pay all that money for ink

Go with HP, and if you just need to do simple printing in black and white the get a cheap laser printer like the HP Laserjet 1028 or 1020 both work really well and can print more pages for cheaper.

halitech
September 12th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I've heard the 1020 is a good deal and a workhorse as well, even for home users

egalvan
September 12th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I find it funny how a printer (with ink in the box) cost less than replacement ink. And they wonder why we are a throw away society. expect people pay all that money for ink

Go with HP, and if you just need to do simple printing in black and white the get a cheap laser printer like the HP Laserjet 1028 or 1020 both work really well and can print more pages for cheaper.

The manufacturers put "starter" or "courtesy" cartridges in the box. These are almost-empty cartridges, just enough to set up the printer.
I once saw one that only gave 20 pages, according to the box's fine-print.
The same is true for ink-jets and lasers.

And as for the laser recommendation, I second that.
The cost-per-page is usually (much) lower.
The print won't smear if it gets damp/wet.
If you only print small amounts, or only on occasion, the laser toners won't dry out like ink-based cartridge will. I've seen lasers print after two years in storage. Well, the cartridge needed a little shaking.

halitech
September 12th, 2008, 05:35 PM
The manufacturers put "starter" or "courtesy" cartridges in the box. These are almost-empty cartridges, just enough to set up the printer.
I once saw one that only gave 20 pages, according to the box's fine-print.
The same is true for ink-jets and lasers.

And as for the laser recommendation, I second that.
The cost-per-page is usually (much) lower.
The print won't smear if it gets damp/wet.
If you only print small amounts, or only on occasion, the laser toners won't dry out like ink-based cartridge will. I've seen lasers print after two years in storage. Well, the cartridge needed a little shaking.

depends on the printer, I've seen some Xerox machines that come with full cartridges

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 05:44 PM
depends on the printer, I've seen some Xerox machines that come with full cartridges

HP also gives out decent carts by default.