PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu startup

bob74
September 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
My system works fine and up to a week or so ago I would receive periodically on switch on the message checking file system which I could swallow. But now every time I switch on I get the message "/dev/sda1 contains a file system with errors, check forced"
Short of re-installing Ubuntu which means the rigmarole of backing etc., is there any way of identifying and correcting the errors?
Any help would be gratefully received. I should mention after the checking completes everything proceeds normally.
Any help would be appreciated.
bob74

ronnielsen1
September 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM
It's telling you to run fsck manually. If it's forcing this it should give you a command line. Type fsck

If it doesn't boot into safe mode

It should list the errors and ask you if you want to fix them

WRDN
September 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
There is a guide here (http://www.gatzet.com/fixing-file-system-on-ubuntu.html) for repairing the filesystem.

bob74
September 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Thank you both for the quick replies
The guide did the trick although strangely enough after the last sudo command no request was made for the new password!
Anyway that minor irritating problem is out the way.
Thanks once again, and sorry for the delay in coming back
bob74

akiratheoni
September 13th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Thank you both for the quick replies
The guide did the trick although strangely enough after the last sudo command no request was made for the new password!
Anyway that minor irritating problem is out the way.
Thanks once again, and sorry for the delay in coming back
bob74

That's probably because if you use sudo, you don't need to type in your password for about 15 minutes. Saves you on typing your password every time if you're doing some heavy sudo work.