PDA

View Full Version : Dell Latitude - do you have an opinion?

el mariachi
September 12th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I know a lot of people likes the Inspiron series, but those aren't sold here in Portugal (at least I never saw them, and Dell's website also doesn't have them).
My dad has a Latitude from work (D something, it's an old model) and it seems a sturdy laptop, very simple - it does it's job and that's it.

I'm looking for a laptop to take with me to campus, I want something light and simple (no need for high-end graphics, blu-ray, internal toaster and bathtub), I'll use it mainly for work, browsing, watching movies sometimes instead of study hehe.

The Latitude E6400 seems like everything I need, it has some security features I'll never give any use and comes with Windows Vista (which will promptly be replaced of course - Dell doesn't sell pre-installed Linux machines here :().

Has anyone used/touched/saw one of these? Thanks fellas!

edit: I saw the Inspiron 1525 on their website.. still like the Latitude better tho hehe

ooobuntooo
September 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Fairly small laptops business laptops, sometimes with battery packs.
I had a Latitude X300 but it broke.

Corfy
September 16th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Inspiron laptops are targeted more at home users. Latitude laptops are targeted more toward business users. What's the difference? I don't know. We have both at my office.

Similarly, the Dimension line of desktops are targeted to home users, the Optiplex line is targeted more toward business users. Again, I'm not sure what the difference is And again, we have both at work. But I was told once by a Dell salesman that since we are a business, we should get the Optiplex computers rather than the Dimension computers. When I asked why, he said the Optiplex were geared more toward business. When I asked him what that meant, he gave me the run-around.

Greyed
September 16th, 2008, 03:31 AM
The only input I have, really, is that I have a Laitude CPx that is still going strong. It is pushing 10 years old and while it isn't very mobile (batteries don't charge any more) the machine itself has been rock solid and a model performer for that decade. If, and I stress that strongly, Dell's quality in the Latitude line is still as strong I'd recommend it without reservation. Unfortunately my plans to buy a new Ubuntu-preinstalled laptop are on hold so I cannot say if their quality control is still as strong as it was back then.

shrndegruv
September 18th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I have an opinion. I really like the e6400. I got one with an intel card. The led screen is ok, the led keyboard is awesome. the machine is light.

I actually ordered another e6400 with nvidia graphics -- I plan on returning the intel based one, just because it doesn't seem like intel drivers are there yet.

I got a 2.53ghz machine 6mb L2 cache, 2 gm ram, 160gb hd, and 3 year NBD onsite service and accident protection for $1700 after tax. that aint too bad....

notwen
September 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
If you're stuck going w/ Dell's business line, try out their Vostro series. It's a bit more affordable(at least here in the states) compared to the mid level Latitude series. I have seen some posts regarding a Latitude model in the Ubuntu Dell sub-forum, but more often than not you see more Inspiron or Vostro posts. Regardless of what you decide on, good luck w/ your purchase. =]