PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Integrated Graphics + Screen Signal Resolution Problem

Erinn
September 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hi

I've just built this pc and am using an ASrock ALiveNF7G-FullHD motherboard. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 and everything's working great, except for the graphics. The resolution is 800x600, and it's huge, and there's no desktop effects. When I go System>Admin>Hardware Drivers, the driver's there, but once I enable it and restart, I get to the splash screen and login and the screen goes black with a 'Signal Out of Range' message. I have to restart and
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgto go back to the old settings, and the graphics no longer work, again. I've been at this for hours now and can't fix it, any help'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Erin

skippuff54
September 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM
maybe adjust ur refresh rate? are u usin monitor? crt, lcd?

Erinn
September 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I'm using an LCD monitor.

I can't change the refresh rate, it's set at 61 Hz and I can't change it from that.

??

skippuff54
September 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
why can't u change it? will ur driver not let u change it? i had to change mine to output to the tv, i just went to system> preferences > screen resolution and changed it there.

skippuff54
September 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM
u might also try tweaking the settings of ur xorg.conf file

Erinn
September 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I just can't, I go to System>Admin>Screen Resolution and there's no option to change it to.

Erinn
September 12th, 2008, 11:13 AM
xorg.conf file? Where is this? I can't find it..

Erinn
September 12th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Ahh, okay. It's all good, I fixed it myself. I had to change the monitor, or what Ubuntu had decided the monitor was, then changed the resolution, and then change the resolution in System>Admin>Screen Res. After restarting, I enabled the graphics driver in Hardware Drivers and restarted and for some reason it worked.

What I think happened.. this time when I enabled the driver it added drivers from Synaptic, previously I had disabled them all when it wouldn't work, and maybe it was two different drivers conflicting?

I don't know, but for some reason it worked this time.

*is happy*

Thanks for your help though.

skippuff54
September 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM
yeah almost def. a driver issue. sometimes when u first install ubuntu/linux it takes some tweaking to get ur hardware settings just right but 9/10 the correct drivers are in the repositories. then u just have to restart a couple-few times to make sure everything is enabled/disabled appropriately.

glad u got everything worked out