PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password Manager

Flirtilizer
September 12th, 2008, 06:30 AM
I use AI Roboform to manage my passwords. I have built up more than a thousand password over the years.

I'm pretty sure there is no Linux version of RoboForm. Is there something similar for Linux\Ubuntu?

Thanks...

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM
ubuntu and firefox saves all my passwords except the sudo passwords of course

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
typically its not a good idea to have a browser remember passwords, but lucky for you the browsers and tools in linux save most passwords.

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
typically its not a good idea to have a browser remember passwords, but lucky for you the browsers and tools in linux save most passwords.

i dont save any of the passwords to things that i dont want compriomised but i do save silly stuff like fourm passwords and game site passwords....i try to keep all my passwords the same...

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:42 AM
i dont save any of the passwords to things that i dont want compriomised but i do save silly stuff like fourm passwords and game site passwords....i try to keep all my passwords the same...

same habit here, most of the time.

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
as unsecure as it may be humans are creatures of habit:lolflag:

ad_267
September 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I haven't used any of these but a search of the repositories shows:

$ apt-cache search -n password
libdbix-password-perl - Perl module for creating a global password file for DB passwords
libterm-readpassword-perl - ask the user for a password
mypasswordsafe - Easy-to-use password manager
password-gorilla - a cross-platform password manager
zope-passwordresettool - password reset tool for Plone

Looks like mypasswordsafe or password-gorilla could be an option.

x001
September 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I'm pretty sure there is no Linux version of RoboForm. Is there something similar for Linux\Ubuntu?

I have looked myself but have not found anything comparable to RoboForm. I have settled on Revelation Password Manager. Unfortunately, it is just a standalone password manager. You might also try out KeePassX if you are using KDE.

tuxerman
September 12th, 2008, 07:21 AM
What about the KDE Wallet? I use Opera to remember all my passwords, so although I'm a KDE user, I really can't vouch for it.

Ripfox
September 12th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I just downloaded this and it rocks.

http://www.getdeb.net/download/2959/0

KeePass Password Safe is a free, open-source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager for Windows. You can store your passwords in a highly-encrypted database, which is locked with one master key or key-disk. KeePassX is the Linux version keeping database format compatibility.

Vivaldi Gloria
September 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I just downloaded this and it rocks.

http://www.getdeb.net/download/2959/0

You beat me to it. I use keepass for years now and it's stable and easy to use in both windows and linux.

Andre-D
November 1st, 2008, 08:14 PM
try lastpass.com ! plugins for Linux and windows, it does the job great ! - imports from Roboform, FREE, and BETTER, no arrogance towards Linux.

I switched completely.

Wharf Rat
November 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
You beat me to it. I use keepass for years now and it's stable and easy to use in both windows and linux.

+1 for Keepass
Installed 5 minutes ago and I can see it beats Revelation and Gpass.