PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Hangs when starting Trial

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I have gone through all the necessary steps to put Ubuntu on my system etc. However when I attempt to load it from the cd to see if my system will agree with it before I install permanently.

It opens the Ubuntu loading page with the black bar and the orange slider that bounces back and forth for about a minute before it begins to load and streatch across the black bar. However when it gets to about 85%(i roughly estimate) it stops loading and my computer stops making any sign that it is still loading.

I have left it on for over an hour just sitting like this and it does not move at all. Is there any reason for this to happen?

Thanks

V

Ps, I did check the CD and it reported as being 100% working.

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I also ran the other check for the memory. It says my memory is also not a problem, this is quite frustrating -_-

Im almost tempted to just jump in and install perminantly.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hmm, you did check for a bad burn right?
what version are you trying to use?
system specs?

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 06:30 AM
There were a few scratches on the CD from a minor accident i had before burning (There was alreay a cd in the drive and I did not notice... dont ask) So i am burning another copy as we speak.

I am currently using an AMD64 3000, 1GB of RAM, Nvidia Gforce 7600X graphics card.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM
It could have been the disk, it happens.

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Yes indeed it was the disk

This new disk seems to have a problem as well -_-

it does the orange bar thing then moves on to a black screen with a small white dash in the top left corner that flashes. have sat watching it for about 10 mins now, nothing else is happening.

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
again what version are you trying here?

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Most recent version I believe.

The disk is called:

ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Hmm, well it might be a hardware issue then.
Some puters just dont like Linux, but there might be a way out.
You can try linux mint, a linux varient based on Ubuntu but often carries bugfixes:
http://www.linuxmint.com/

its worth a shot, but you may want to try the 64bit version of ubuntu too.

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Downloading Mint now, Thanks :D

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Mint Linux also does not work :( Gives me about 100000 errors :Cannot read file X at place X size X" and so one.

Lets try 64 bit Ubuntu, as I think my system is 64 bit anywys lol :D

kansasnoob
September 12th, 2008, 08:39 AM
You're getting download or burn errors! You need to check the md5sum of your downloads and then check the disc for errors!

The i386 version works fine on a 64 bit system! You're beating your head against the wall and making coasters!

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Can you recomend a good program to use for checking?