PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What was that!! Spyware invasion??

rpvtech
September 12th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Had a strange thing happen on the internet, strange for linux at least. Had a software program invade and scan my hard drive supposedly looking for spyware. Of course it confirmed that spyware was installed before I could turn it off. Now I need to check my drive and eradicate any unwanted beasties, only being new to Ubuntu I don't know how. Could someone explain please.

Robert

perlluver
September 12th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Had a strange thing happen on the internet, strange for linux at least. Had a software program invade and scan my hard drive supposedly looking for spyware. Of course it confirmed that spyware was installed before I could turn it off. Now I need to check my drive and eradicate any unwanted beasties, only being new to Ubuntu I don't know how. Could someone explain please.

Robert

Spyware is non-existent for Ubuntu. You have no reason to be concerned. That was just a generic ad/scanner. More info here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Do not be fooled by websites that scan for spyware, they are usually scam websites.
I would not take such scans with a grain of salt.

fmartinez
September 12th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Everyone is probably correct!!!! If I ran it I'd probably get the same viruses on my machine. If ran it under Windows you'd probably get the same viruses. I sounds just like a script that runs when the site loads and has a link to download malicious software. Since Ubuntu is a non .exe system you really don't have anything to worry about. But if your really concerned you can use AVG for Linux to scan you system.

mike1234
September 12th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I run across these sites occasionally with Firefox. It just makes me laugh, warning me to scan my computer now with some .exe file. Scare tactic for the uninitiated.

M.

Vendettaseve
September 12th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Yep,

that scan would be the same for all of us, its just a flash video that plays and not an actual scan of your system, one of countless thousands of flash scams, My personal favorite one is the Hotchick on MSN flash add, pops up as a new message alert and plays the sound, if your not really thinking you click it right away. good times ^^

Vivaldi Gloria
September 12th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Install the noscript extension of firefox.

RedPandaFox
September 12th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I enjoy talking to the bots to "watch web cams" that randomly add your msn

I just keep asking if its a bot till it runs out of things to say and keeps repeating itself :P

After the first message you always know.

Northsider
September 12th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I just keep asking if its a bot till it runs out of things to say and keeps repeating itself :P

After the first message you always know.

HAha, too much time on your hands.:)

slmouradian
September 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM
you have nothing to worry about, but if you don't feel comfortable, you can download AVG and scan your system from here:

http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afl

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM
if u really want a antivirus get avast! www.avast.com its pretty cool and can be ran from terminal by simply opening a terminal and typing "avast" without the quotation marks ofcourse