PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what is mint and does it work better then regurlar Ubuntu

Kedster
September 12th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Does mint use all the same eye candy(themes compiz fusion fonts icons emerald) does it use Gnome or kde or maybe xface does it use firefox as default

and can i duel boot it with ubuntu and use my Home for both

atoc
September 12th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Did you visit the linuxmint.com website? All your questions are answered there.
Lazyweb answer:
It is an ubuntu variant, using the ubuntu repos and its own repos.
It uses gnome.
All the 'ubuntu-restricted' extras (codecs, etc) are installed by default -the goal is to make Mint extremely easy and as hassle-free as possible for newcomers.
There are several versions of Linux Mint: KDE, XFCE and Fluxbox in addition to the "standard" Mint which uses Gnome.

The MintInstaller and software portal (reminiscent of Linspire's One click install thingabob)

I installed it because I like to try the "latest and greatest" of everything.

Best thing about it for me is that Gnome is compiled WITHOUT Evolution dependencies (I hate Evolution with an unhealthy passion)- Thunderbird is the default mail client - and the restricted extras being there already.

Download any of the LiveCDs and give it a whirl...you may like it or you may stick w/ Ubuntu (or Kubuntu or Xubuntu or Edubuntu,etc etc)

and yes, you can use your /home directory with either/any linux install. Just be sure NOT to format the /home partition and just set it as the /home mount point.

Kedster
September 12th, 2008, 05:03 AM
thank you and what vversion do i use the Elyssa version or is that not stable yet and does it have have compiz like does it work well

SunnyRabbiera
September 12th, 2008, 05:09 AM
So far for me Mint elyssa has worked better then hardy on my machine.

cariboo907
September 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I use Mint elyssa lite on my HP laptop everything worked right out of the box including wirelesss, no extra configuration needed.

Jim