PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] emphathy instant messenger installation

misswham
September 12th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Hi. I just installed empathy and it says no accts configured. to add a new acct you first have to install a backend for each protocol you want to use.

i dont know what this is.

can u tell me what a backend is and how do i install it. i have 2 yahoo id's, one aim, one msn and one google.

Ntweat
September 12th, 2008, 03:08 AM
try using pidgin...

dustigroove
September 12th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I believe that Empathy requires the appropriate Telepathy packages to be installed for the connections you wish to use.

This should give you a list of available components...

apt-cache search telepathy

Cheers

crazypenguin2008
September 12th, 2008, 03:51 AM
i had a terriable time with emphathy. i scrapped it and just used the pidgin platform that comes loaded in ubuntu...

Queue29
September 26th, 2008, 08:16 AM
these work for me:

sudo apt-get install telepathy-gabble
for gmail / jabber

sudo apt-get install telepathy-butterfly
for msn

sudo apt-get install telepathy-haze
for aim

I don't know how to get the promised audio/video chat working though.

vishzilla
September 26th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I don't know how to get the promised audio/video chat working though.

i have a gtalk account. audio video works great. though sometimes the audio is choppy.

vishzilla
September 26th, 2008, 08:22 AM
secondly, if you want to install the latest version. search for the telepathy ppa in launchpad. google 'telepathy ppa launchpad'

sublimation
October 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
I agree whole-heartedly. The most recent version of Empathy works like a charm for me (8.10 beta Ubuntu Studio). I find that the only real hurdle left for Empathy to be a full-featured client is the addition of sound notifications. As it has taken a lot of inspiration from Pidgin and other multi-service IM clients, I expect it will eventually have a similar toolbox.

There has been some work done on patches for adding sound. I had found the thread that was changing/hosting the patches awhile back, but now my google searches seem to be in vain. Has anyone else seen this effort? Or tried to compile with the patch?