PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Ubuntu User Looking for a Web History Logging Program (long story)

karasuman
September 12th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Well, it's a long story, but I'll try to make it short. I convinced my rebellious teenage brother to give Ubuntu a try, but he's been in serious trouble over computer use recently, and my parents are thinking about taking away his computer unless he won't put Windows back on it, because they know how to check up on him through Windows. As a compromise, my father has requested that I find a way for him to check what my brother is doing on the computer. He knows how to check the history in Firefox, but individual items can be deleted, and my brother is smart enough to do that.

Does anyone know of a program that will allow my parents to monitor websites, or is there another way that they can feel safe? I know this is sort of against the mindset of the Linux community, but, in this instance, my brother needs to be watched... and I would like to see him switch to Ubuntu.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Therion
September 12th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Only thing I know of is DansGuardian (http://dansguardian.org/?page=introduction). It's mainly a content filter but the site says it...

has the ability to work in a stealth mode where it logs sites that would have been blocked, but does not block them. This allows you to monitor your users without them knowing.