PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Booting Vista and Ubuntu, need help.

dannyswrld
September 12th, 2008, 01:32 AM
OK, so I have two hard drives. One is running Windows Vista Ultimate, the other has the latest Ubuntu Desktop Edition. I'm going to use Ubuntu as my main OS, but I was wondering, is there some kind of software out there that will let me be running Ubuntu, and if I want to do something in the other hard drive (Vista) , it will open up not some VMWare file, but the Vista I have on the other hardrive? Thanks.:confused:

I don't care running virtual machines. But I want THE WINDOWS ON THE OTHER HARDRIVE! VMplayer (what I said) uses a "Windows image"

Paul41
September 12th, 2008, 01:47 AM
As far as I know there is no way to do this. You could get to files on the other drive from Ubuntu but I don't know of any you could use Vista without rebooting if you aren't using a virtual machine.

Pro-reason
September 12th, 2008, 02:32 AM
If you found a way of doing what you say, it would be a bad idea to do it, because you would risk screwing up your Windows installation.

It would be better to convert the Windows partition to a virtual image file, and then use it.

Better still, create a fresh virtual image file.

--------------

If you really rely on your Windows installation so much, just boot into it. Run Ubuntu in a virtual machine on Windows.

Therion
September 12th, 2008, 02:53 AM
...is there some kind of software out there that will let me be running Ubuntu, and if I want to do something in the other hard drive (Vista) , it will open up not some VMWare file, but the Vista I have on the other hardrive?
No; not as I understand what you've described here. Simply put, you can't have an OS that is active and functional without a boot procedure.

You can dual-boot using single, or dual, hard drives or you can use something like Virtual Box; but those are the only options really.