PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] up/download from command line

sfong15
September 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I'm working on a VPS 8.04.1 server playing around learning. From time to time I want to print text file being edited by nano, I think there isn't way to do that right?

What's the easiest way to download a file from server to desktop for printing without leaving command line? Same for uploading a file from desktop to server without the trouble of starting filezilla?

Pro-reason
September 12th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Well, to download stuff, you use “wget”.

But are we talking about FTP here?

Ntweat
September 12th, 2008, 02:35 AM
if u r using ssh then i would suggest using the comman scp it works both ways... that is sending to server as well downloading.... syntax

scp <file name of file on ur comp with path> <login>@<server:<file on server with path>

y@w
September 12th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Not quite sure what you're trying to do here.. but if you're using SSH from the desktop you're trying to copy the files to and you're working with small files you could always just copy-paste using the mouse.. Not exactly ground-breaking, but definitely an option. Just do 'cat filename' and open in an editor.

lswb
September 12th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Well, you should be able to print directly from the command line with the "lp" command. man lp for the options.

For transferring files between 2 systems there are lots of options, I like ssh and sshfs for linux systems. With sshfs on your local system, you can log into a ssh server and basically set up a mount point that points to a directory on the server. Then you can just copy files back and forth with the normal cp and other cli commands.

Ntweat
September 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM
well... if u use SSH if u can leave the terminal u can always use X server forwarding.... i opens any application u want .... the application will be on server but u will see it on ur comp... so jst copy and paste

Pro-reason
September 12th, 2008, 02:48 AM
If you're using FTP, you can log on with this:

ftp username@site

Obviously replacing the words in italics with the appropriate names.

That will start an FTP shell. Type “help” for available commands. (You'll mostly want “put” and “get”.)

sfong15
September 12th, 2008, 06:01 AM
if u r using ssh then i would suggest using the comman scp it works both ways... that is sending to server as well downloading.... syntax

scp <file name of file on ur comp with path> <login>@<server:<file on server with path>

Thanks what if I am logged in already, so how I download a file onto my local PC desktop (which is a Mac).

Heard that curl does something similar right?