PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Black and white DVD iso

Nevyn
September 12th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Hi!

Got my old MacGyver collection made into iso's so that I don't scratch the discs. However, when I try and play the iso's (mounted with Gmount-iso at /media/temp-mnt-iso ) I only get it to play in black and white. Tried both with Movieplayer xine and Gstreamer, and VLC, and no luck with either. Am I missing a plugin or can anybody point me in the direction of a better movie player (I've had some trouble with a few video clips my friends have sent me aswell).

Thanks in advance =)

Thanoulis
September 12th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Try mplayer...are you sure you created those iso's correctly?

Nevyn
September 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Yep, they work perfectly on my both my old win-machines, and I also got it to work once last week. That was the first time I tried it on Ubuntu and I did so with vlc and MoviePlayer gstream. Result: black and white video with slow motion movements. Then I tried it with Xine and it worked perfectly.

I've tried Mplayer before aswell but since I got the dvd's in vob-format and I haven't figured out a way to get Mplayer to open the whole folder with vob-files it's been of no use to me.

I'm still thinking of the possibility that I'm missing plugins, anyone got an idea of where to find out what plugins I need?

Liviu-Theodor
September 12th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Have you installed ubuntu restricted extras from the Application -> Add-Remove...? Also, I find vlc a good program to view movies.

mikewhatever
September 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Have you installed ubuntu restricted extras from the Application -> Add-Remove...? Also, I find vlc a good program to view movies.

Restricted extras is completely unneeded. It brings in a lot of stuff unrelated to multimedia, such as java, msfonts and unrar. As for VLC, re-read post #1.

Nevyn, I don't get it. Does it work with Xine?

Nevyn
September 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Well, I have the possibility to open the vob-files with Movie Player, Movie Player (Xine), and Movie Player (Gstreamer). I have tried them all and as I said previously it did work to play them one time with the Xine-option. Without any configuration (I only played a little music and read an online news paper) it would not work after that. Sorry if I was a bit vague there.

I'll try a complete remove and re-install and give it another go.

=)

Liviu-Theodor
September 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Restricted extras is completely unneeded. It brings in a lot of stuff unrelated to multimedia, such as java, msfonts and unrar. As for VLC, re-read post #1.

Nevyn, I don't get it. Does it work with Xine?

I forgot to say about installing libdvdcss2 in Synaptic. Does it help?