PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trying to listen to streaming radio via xmms

suzanneforums
September 11th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Hello,

I am trying to listen to streaming radio at www.koop.org. Their instructions page suggested that linux users listen via xmms, so I downloaded xmms and--I don't know how to make it pick up the streaming radio. I think the answer is probably really simple, but I am apparently the village simpleton, so it is beyond me. Please help!

Thank you.

Pconfig
September 11th, 2008, 10:50 PM
xmms is old and hasn't been updated for a while. Though it's still used alot. (rectification: xmms 2 is still active)

http://streaming.koop.org:8508/listen.pls

This is the url you need. You could paste it in firefox aswell. When i do so, firefox starts playing it ;)

As alternative you could use totem media player
movie ==> open location and paste the above url

BenAshton24
September 11th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Simple answer as you guessed, run the following command in terminal

sudo apt-get install xmms2-plugin-pls
And that it basically, just click on the link the previous poster posted and open it in totem and your away :D
Hope this helps :D
Ben.

starcannon
September 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
audacious has pretty much replaced xmms for me. install it from synaptic, and grab all of its plugins while your there, and then open streams using that, it works great. I'm a long time xmms fan, and find audacious to actually work better (I was dubious when first told to try it but now prefer it).

GL and have fun

suzanneforums
September 12th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Thanks for your help! Playing it through Totem worked great. I'll check out audacious. Thank you everyone.