PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Moving email from Suse 10.0 KDE to Ubuntu 8.0.4 w/ Evolution

joekwme
September 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Is there an easy way to import mail from 10.0 with KDE to Ubuntu 8.0.4 with Evolution email. I need to move my spouse's old emails and attachments over to another media. I have an external drive or a memory stick, but it seems that the two email programs are different and therefore importing data is not easy. I'm a newb, and my experience in Terminal can be measured in seconds, but I'll do whatever it takes.

Thanks

Joe

bobnutfield
September 11th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I've never tried to do it, but there appears to be a discussion about it here:

http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/users/2004-January/012832.html

joekwme
September 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks Bob. Very informative, but I am a noob, and this seems a little daunting. Sylpheed seems to be an email program. The evolution program looks ok, but I never have had a chance to use it. I would prefer not to go back to the kde kmail, but installing it may solve the problem.

I'll keep looking for now.

Thanks

Joe

bobnutfield
September 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Sylpheed is indeed an email program. It is the default program in Puppy Linux. I apologize for not being able to give a complete answer, but it must be possible because it is covered quite a bit when exporting settings and mail from Outlook to Linux. I found a number of hits when I googled under the Linux Google search.

joekwme
September 11th, 2008, 10:36 PM
So Bob, here's the rub.

I have a desktop running suse 10, which I want to overwrite with ubuntu, and take over the family's email needs. How do I get the email from suse/kde on the very machine for which it is the target for the ubuntu?

I am using an old laptop, my son's, which has the ubuntu running on it. Could I install the sylpheed on the laptop?

I never used an imap program, and the logistics of the move are what I don't understand.

I guess I have to look at the sylpheed program a little closer.

Cheers

Joe

joekwme
September 11th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well I tried to open sylpheed, by clicking on the install in archive manager. I know I'm a noob, and I'm sure I'm missing a crucial link in adding a linux program. I downloaded and clicked on install, but all I got was an empty box, which said at the top "open files", and then below that it had two smaller blank boxes: "available application" and "recent application".

any ideas?

Joe

joekwme
September 13th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks...I think I got her solved. Is there a

Cheers

Joe

joekwme
September 13th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I know, no caps. But for the life of me, I can't mark this thread solved.

I read all the read me first stuff, but I get no "thread solved" under thread tools menu.

Great forum.