PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie Question: Fresh install and 117 updates!?

jschodde
September 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I ran the update utility and it found 117 updates! Besides the obvious one like FireFox 3 there a so many updates I don't know what's relevant and what's not.

Should I just close my eyes and click the magic button?:confused:

snowpine
September 11th, 2008, 06:57 PM
That's normal for a fresh install. Basically, the install disk is a "snapshot" of the packages as they exist at that moment. It would be too much work to make a "fresh" install ISO every time a package gets updated. There have been 117 updates since 8.04.1 was released a few weeks back. It's safe to install them all.

So yeah, click the magic button and go have lunch or something :)
It's also safe to wait and do the updates at a later date when you have time.

mikewhatever
September 11th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'd recommend installing security and recommended updates. Never ever click where it says MAGIC BUTTON, it's probably spyware. I haven't seen such a button in Ubuntu though.:)

jschodde
September 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
That's normal for a fresh install. Basically, the install disk is a "snapshot" of the packages as they exist at that moment. It would be too much work to make a "fresh" install ISO every time a package gets updated. There have been 117 updates since 8.04.1 was released a few weeks back. It's safe to install them all.

So yeah, click the magic button and go have lunch or something :)
It's also safe to wait and do the updates at a later date when you have time.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am so PISSED with Vista..biggest piece of crap I've ever used. Today was last straw, so I pulled out a laptop I have laying around and installed Ubuntu on it so I can get familiar with it.

Soon I'll nuke all my Vista machines and install Ubuntu if all works out. My biggest concern is being able to either replace the windows apps with a comparable one or run them within Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Jeff

snowpine
September 11th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! I am so PISSED with Vista..biggest piece of crap I've ever used. Today was last straw, so I pulled out a laptop I have laying around and installed Ubuntu on it so I can get familiar with it.

Soon I'll nuke all my Vista machines and install Ubuntu if all works out. My biggest concern is being able to either replace the windows apps with a comparable one or run them within Ubuntu.

Cheers,
Jeff

Jeff, I think you will fit right in here at Ubuntu Forums. Welcome!

jschodde
September 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Jeff, I think you will fit right in here at Ubuntu Forums. Welcome!

Thanks!

jschodde
September 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'd recommend installing security and recommended updates. Never ever click where it says MAGIC BUTTON, it's probably spyware. I haven't seen such a button in Ubuntu though.:)

Sorry mikewhatever...I was being coy. The button I was referring to was "Install Updates". :)

The Cog
September 11th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yes, install the lot.

You are taking the right approach, I think. Getting the wireless working might be a challenge, and finding alternative apps might be a challenge. In some areas Linux has vastly better apps, and in some areas Linux is still somewaht lacking, so you really need to try it and see.

You will find Linux very similar in some ways, but also find it very different in ways that you had never even thought of. One problem is that migramts tend to discover the negative differences quite quickly, whereas it takes time to come to appreciate the things that Linux can to that Windows can't - after all, you don't miss what you don't know about. Don't let that phase put you off, where you have found a load of things you can't do like you used to but haven't yet found loads of things you couldn't do before.

DFlame
September 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Cheers,
Jeff

Most Windows applications will have an open source equivalent which can run on Linux. Two examples are GIMP which could be used instead of Photoshop, and OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office.

If you find some of the alternatives to be lacking, you could always try running the Windows app of your choice under WINE. I still run an old mIRC bot with this :)

DFlame