PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Dual Boot

Troll_the_Great
September 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Hy all!
I have a quick question.I have a dual boot system Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04.I have a 120 GB hard drive with 3 partitions:a windows partition (NTFS) a data partition (NTFS) and the Ubuntu partition (Ext 2).I have to reinstall Windows (what a surprise, no :)).My questions is:will it screw up the GRUB?I don't want to turn my PC into a paper weight.
Thanks!

sisco311
September 11th, 2008, 05:57 PM
My questions is:will it screw up the GRUB?
Yes, but you can reinstall it from the live cd.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/reinstall-ubuntu-grub-bootloader-after-windows-wipes-it-out/

t0p
September 11th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Hy all!
I have a quick question.I have a dual boot system Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04.I have a 120 GB hard drive with 3 partitions:a windows partition (NTFS) a data partition (NTFS) and the Ubuntu partition (Ext 2).I have to reinstall Windows (what a surprise, no :)).My questions is:will it screw up the GRUB?I don't want to turn my PC into a paper weight.
Thanks!

Very often, installing windoze after ubuntu results in windoze screwing up grub. It is fixable, but I don't know how...

Anyway, in my experience it's better to install windoze first, then ubuntu.

Troll_the_Great
September 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Yes, but you can reinstall it from the live cd.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/reinstall-ubuntu-grub-bootloader-after-windows-wipes-it-out/

This should be easy enough.Thanks allot!

Troll_the_Great
September 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
One more question before I take the plunge:those are the exact commands I should run?

sudo grub

root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0)

exit
Like I said, I have 3 partitions, the first one is windows and the third one is Ubuntu.
Thanks allot.

Tatty
September 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
This page might give you a little more info:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows?action=show&redirect=RestoreGrub

caljohnsmith
September 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM
One more question before I take the plunge:those are the exact commands I should run?

sudo grub

root (hd0,0)

setup (hd0)

exit
Like I said, I have 3 partitions, the first one is windows and the third one is Ubuntu.
Thanks allot.
Those commands will depend on which partition your Ubuntu is on, so it may not be (hd0,0). One of the best ways to reinstall Grub, and make sure you get the correct Ubuntu partition, is by doing the following from the Live CD:

sudo grub
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
[should return your Ubuntu partition in the form (hdX,Y), use that:]
grub> root (hdX,Y)
grub> setup (hdX)
grub> quit
The "find" command is what helps you determine the correct partition to use in the subsequent commands to reinstall Grub. Let us know how it goes or if you have problems. :)

Troll_the_Great
September 12th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Thank you all very much, I manage to reinstall windows and I recovered my precious...\\:D/
Ubuntu forums ROCKS!!!:guitar: