PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot find home

Vic!
September 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
kina hoping theres a way to fix my friends laptop i put ubuntu 7.10 on it and right now when he logs in the splash screen it says the home directory is missing or is being ignored. so the only thing i can do is log into the terminal ...any way to fix this? im hoping i dont have to re install :(

t0p
September 11th, 2008, 05:52 PM
kina hoping theres a way to fix my friends laptop i put ubuntu 7.10 on it and right now when he logs in the splash screen it says the home directory is missing or is being ignored. so the only thing i can do is log into the terminal ...any way to fix this? im hoping i dont have to re install :(

Sorry, what exactly is the error msg you're getting?

Vic!
September 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
The exact error message is as follows

your home directory is listed as '/home/mondoe' but it does not appear to exist.
Do you want to log in with the / (root) directory as your home directory? It is unlikely anything will work unless you use a failsafe session.

t0p
September 11th, 2008, 06:10 PM
So ubuntu installed without making a home directory? Wow. I'm afraid I have no idea what to do. Could it mean you will have to reinstall?

I guess you could try to make the home directory yourself, ie give the command

mkdir /home/mondoe

but then you'll need to change permissions and ownership so mondoe is the owner. Maybe do this in recovery mode?

Titan8990
September 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM
This often happens when useradd is used instead of adduser. Personally, I would boot into recovery mode delete the user using deluser and then recreate the user accnt with adduser.

WRDN
September 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Try using a different account/ recovery mode shell, and create a folder in the /home directory for the user:

mkdir /home/mondoe

Now, you must give the folderthe correct permissions:

sudo chown mondoe /home/mondoe

Now, try to login and the folder should be recognised.

Vic!
September 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM
now that i recall he did want to add a second user to his computer so what is the best way to undo this?? deleting the new user or making a new home directory?

Vic!
September 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
what will happen if i make a new home directory??

Jay11
September 12th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Well....you could try it but usually / and /home are 2 different partitions..and im not sure if just creating the directory "home" on the partition "/" would fix your problem...best bet would probably be to re-install. It's a painless process and I would advise to try not to delete the /home directory and/or partition this time :). First thing to try would be to, as they said in the above posts, to
sudo mkdir /home/username and
sudo chown username /home/username...and
what will happen if i make a new home directory?? ...well the directory doesn't exist anymore or it wouldn't be giving you that error message, and it isn't working as it is so...couldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, you could get back to where you were by doing
sudo rm -rf /home DO NOT ever use that command any other time for any reason.

Tatty
September 12th, 2008, 05:32 AM
This often happens when useradd is used instead of adduser. Personally, I would boot into recovery mode delete the user using deluser and then recreate the user accnt with adduser.

This sounds like the best advice, i would try this before doing anything else.

Jay11
September 12th, 2008, 05:43 AM
I agree with Titan, I would try that first...if that doesn't work then trying adding the directory. If all else fails, re-install.

Vic!
September 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
thx will try using deluser. anyone know how exactly to use this?? should i just type it in the command line and then the username that he just added?