PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Building Up my First Linux Comp.

S0VERE1GN
September 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Hey all, I'm starting the project of building up m first linux only PC, and I have a few questions to make the process go easier.

1. As far as video cards, are there any problems with the compatibility of the Nvidia GeForce socket 775 kits?
2. Will Ubuntu Support a Blu-Ray player in any way shape or form, or will i need a wine program?
3. How much Ram will Ubuntu actually support and use? is there a reasonable cap?
4. Will Ubuntu support a Sound card with a digital optical out? which card works the best for this?

thanks for any help in advance!! :guitar:

jerome1232
September 11th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I can only answer one of your questions the memory cap, if you install 32 bit as with all 32 bit operating systems your capped at 4 GB, If you install 64 bit Ubuntu it's only limited by your motherboard (I forget the number but 64 bit is capped at like 16 terrabytes of ram or something ridiculously high)

cb951303
September 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hey all, I'm starting the project of building up m first linux only PC, and I have a few questions to make the process go easier.

1. As far as video cards, are there any problems with the compatibility of the Nvidia GeForce socket 775 kits?
2. Will Ubuntu Support a Blu-Ray player in any way shape or form, or will i need a wine program?
3. How much Ram will Ubuntu actually support and use? is there a reasonable cap?
4. Will Ubuntu support a Sound card with a digital optical out? which card works the best for this?

thanks for any help in advance!! :guitar:

1. I don't think that will be a problem. NVIDIA support is good.
2. I wouldn't know about that.
3. Lets say you have 4GB of RAM. If you are planing to have a 32 bit CPU than you will get 2 GB of ram max. If you plan to get a 64-bit CPU and run 32-bit linux you will get approx 3.3GB (if your motherboard doesn't support the-thing-that-I-don't-remember-which-enables-32-bit-OSs-to-accept-4GB-ram) if you use 64 bit ubuntu with your 64 bit CPU than you will get 4GB of ram(maybe even more, depends on how much ram you need)
4. My onboard audio card's digital output works. I don't think it will be a problem.

liquidfunk
September 11th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I have 32bit Ubuntu on a 64Bit processor, and it shows 3.2Gb of my 4Gb RAM.

My Nvidia 8500GT 512Mb works like a dream, if you have a look on the Nvidia site it shows you which cards you can download drivers for. Which may help you to choose one.

Nowadays I think 2Gb is considered standard, although 1Gb, and even 512Mb is enough for general computing.

S0VERE1GN
September 11th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks Thanks and Thanks!

anyone know about blu ray compatability??

ikt
September 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
anyone know about blu ray compatability??

Linux will eventually support Blu ray, if it doesn't already.

jerome1232
September 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I believe blu-ray works, didn't give the article a thorough reading tho

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

Therion
September 11th, 2008, 07:41 PM
This should get you started: Linux and Blu-Ray (http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/)