PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my friend had any old P3 tower pc what os sould she use

blake7
September 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
she has never used lynix before is ubuntu any good for her or is thire a smaller smilper variation we should down load.

ps it has 512mb of ram

neurostu
September 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Try the Ubuntu LiveCD (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download). Ubuntu is a great starter linux distribution. The LIVE CD will allow you to boot linux with out installing it.

amazingtaters
September 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I would reccomend Xubuntu or Puppy Linux, or if you want to go really light weight, SliTaz.

Thelasko
September 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Ubuntu is about as simple as Linux gets. 512 should be enough to run regular Ubuntu, but Xubuntu will run faster.

liquidfunk
September 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Crunchbang would be better on a Pentium3. If you are interested in attractive looks, check out Elive.

snowpine
September 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Crunchbang would be better on a Pentium3. If you are interested in attractive looks, check out Elive.

+1 on the Crunchbang suggestion, though for a complete Linux novice, my recommendation leans towards Xubuntu because of the large user base and outstanding support here on these forums.

philinux
September 12th, 2008, 06:43 PM
she has never used lynix before is ubuntu any good for her or is thire a smaller smilper variation we should down load.

ps it has 512mb of ram

With that amount of memory regular ubuntu will run. It wont be dead snappy.

I got the same situation. I just gave my old P3 with 320meg to girlfriend running Hardy.

She only needs net and open office. It runs sweet as a nut.
It has a dual boot with windows me which runs like a pig in treacle. We dont use me anymore at all. In fact I've got the delay in grub set to 1sec.

dawynn
September 12th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Word of warning. I've tried the Ubuntu live CD on my Athlon Classic 1.4 Ghz (about a high P3 / low P4 equivalent). *If* you can get the Ubuntu live CD running on an older PC like that, it will run like a Rhino with 4 broken legs. Seriously. But the run times once its installed would *drastically* improve.

At least in my experience, Xubuntu really didn't show much for processing time difference over Ubuntu -- assuming that you aren't trying compiz on Ubuntu. On a PC of that age, if you choose Ubuntu, once you get everything installed, immediately strip off any packages with compiz in the name.

OpenGeu (based on E17) is pretty, fast, but still in Beta stage. You've been warned. Once all the pieces come together, *this* looks like a real light-weight Ubuntu distribution. (Sorry, fluxbuntu went *too* light for my tastes. It felt too Unixy and unfriendly to me.)

Puppy Linux might work. I tried their Live CD and it was very responsive -- so worth a shot to at least show her what Linux is like, without disrupting her hard drive. But what Puppy gains in speed, it loses in attractiveness. It *looks* like a strictly gtk-based system. (IMHO, gtk-based apps, while fast, are typically unpolished visually and usually look ugly, but YMMV.) Also, the download is about the smallest I've seen for a LiveCD distribution. I will say, I only tried the basic Puppy distribution. Puppy encourages others to make similar distributions -- and there are dozens of off-shoots. Others may be more pleasing to the eyes.

I can't speak for Crunchbang or SliTaz. Never tried them.

philinux
September 12th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual effects may not run smoothly.

700 MHz x86 processor
384 MB of system memory (RAM)
8 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
Sound card
A network or Internet connection

If the live cd does not run, or runs too slow, then use the alternate text based installer. Once installed it will run ok as has been said.

I use cdrw's so no coasters in the landfill.