PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no drivers for intel 82801db sound card

esquivel
September 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Hi, i have just installed the hardy ubuntu on a relatively old NEC laptop and as usual i have trouble making the sound to work. i can ''see'' the sound card using the terminal but do not know the way to activate any sound whatsoever. i have looked at the intel website for the drivers for my card but with no result. please, any help would be appreciated.

nothingspecial
September 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Have you tried switching from pulse audio to alsa in your sound preferences.
Not sure exactly how to do this as I`m still on Gutsy.

gvartser
September 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Hmm check this out.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=161193

/g

NewDisciple
September 11th, 2008, 07:05 PM
If that doesn't work you will need to know who made the sound card. I have that card on an old MPC computer and mine is a SoundMax sound card. You will need to Google it as I don't have the URL handy at the moment. There is a site that has a free download for the driver. I know this because I downloaded and installed the driver yesterday. There are numerous sites that advertise free drivers but when you follow the links they lead to a must pay link. There is one site that claims to have it "Tech something". It has a poor user rating for this driver and for good reason. Trying to install this one will cause a kernel panic. If you do decide that you need the URL I can find it a bit later.

Kellemora
September 12th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Hi esq

That's the sound card I have in THIS computer I'm on right now and it works just fine.

Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ich4/ich4-l/ich4-m) ac'97a

Under Sound Preferences in Devices TAB all of my features are set to auto-detect except for Sound Capture, that is set to ALSA - etc.
However: Under the Sound Tab, all the sounds, except log-in are set to OFF by default. There is a test button here to check your sound.

Give that a try, because it should work.

You DO have your speakers plugged into the right port don't you? I mess up and get it plugged into the wrong one quite often.

TTUL
Gary