PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Is there any variant of Ubuntu especially for games?

GutsyRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM
For about a week i am in gaming mood :)
And i was wondering if there is any ubuntu games variant.
If there is any other distributions full of games, please let me know :)

iaculallad
September 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
For about a week i am in gaming mood :)
And i was wondering if there is any ubuntu games variant.
If there is any other distributions full of games, please let me know :)

Check this out (http://live.linux-gamers.net/). But I guess it's not Ubuntu based LiveDVD.

GutsyRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I had tried Linux-gamers, it's a great distro but i easily got bored of it.

stalkingwolf
September 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
there are lots of games in the repositories. you also have the option of running many wingames in Wine, Cedega, and Crossoverlinux. Im not
a gamer so I cant say how well they run.

lakersforce
September 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
IMO Linux will not be good for games before someone creates a complete cross platform gaming API with the same qualities as Direct X.

And I also think that in 10-15 years Windows will be running on Linux.

For the present time:
Gamer = addicted to microsoft

3rdalbum
September 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
For the present time:
Gamer = addicted to microsoft

I disagree - I own a console.

GutsyRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
There are some awsome games on Linux, like "Virus Killer" "Battle for Wesnoth" and "Titanion" but i really wanted to have many game-based linux distributions.
I guess the only alternative i have is to build my own distro using Reconstruct or something..

ronnielsen1
September 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
There are some awsome games on Linux, like "Virus Killer" "Battle for Wesnoth" and "Titanion" but i really wanted to have many game-based linux distributions.
I guess the only alternative i have is to build my own distro using Reconstruct or something..
Why not just install them in your current install?

Julita
September 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I guess the best way is to use WINE and try to run games for Win under it.

jerome1232
September 11th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I was reading this and the first thought that comes to my mind is "yeah it's called dual boot with xp, or purchase a console".

Ok well I guess that all depends on if you are looking at something that has maybe an extended repository of native Linux games or if you are talking about the lastest and greatest Windows games.

IMHO if you are the guy that goes out and gets all the latest titles and is heavy into gaming wine will not cut it for you, although it's great (I mean I'm amazed I can run Windows programs on Linux, and not just notepad or something) and runs alot of titles, it won't run them all.

I have a few favorite titles and most of them work well with wine.

I love playing older games (Dungeon Master 2 is a great title) so I find using dos emulators, snes emulators, and psx emulators get's my gaming itch fulfilled.

lakersforce
September 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I disagree - I own a console.

Let me correct that:

Gamer = addicted to microsoft, sony or nintendo

GutsyRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Why not just install them in your current install?

I do that everytime i reinstall all of my 4 linux distributions i use but it takes allot of time, that's why i neeed something, let's say bundled with all the games i need in one LiveCD or LiveDVD distro.