PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia black screen

UltraRos
September 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Hello people,

After installing my 8.04 i installed the nvidia driver Ubuntu displayed as an available update. After a reboot it booted but i got a black screen. I was able to log in blind and heard drums again. When i pres ctrl+alt+f1 i get a shell.

What should i do to get graphics back?

I read on forums what to do but nothing solved it. I noticed to late that Ubuntu doesnt like nvidia.

Reinstalling takes over 3 days with my connection so i hope that won't be needed

Nepherte
September 11th, 2008, 12:37 PM
How did you exactly install the nvidia driver? If you can't get it to work through restricted hardware, you could try envy:

sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk

Then run it in console mode:

envyng-gtk -t
Uninstall the old driver, then install the new driver.

ntbutler
September 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi there.
Yeah, 8.04 seems to be having a huge issue with nvidia cards, i am still trying to diagnose the issue, but so far i have found that it is linked directly with the installation of the nvidia driver (my system crashes once it is installed instead of getting a black screen).
For the moment, try booting the computer in recovery mode. Once you get to the menu, choose xFix, ehich will reset your Xorg.conf file (basically disabling the nvidia driver).
This should give you graphics back again, and you can try to have a look at what is happening.

It may be good before you run xFix, if you log in to tty1 like you did before, then run "more /etc/X11/xorg.conf" to read the configuration file or "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /home/<USERNAME>/Desktop/xorg.conf" to copy it to your desktop so you can have a look at what the nvidia driver has changed around with your settings and see if there is anything conflicting.

I hope that helps buddy, let us know how it goes :)

UltraRos
September 11th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Doing xfix and than resume normal reboot doesnt work.

And it says /etc/x11/xorg.conf : on such file or directory.

The suggestion above i need to be connected. I need to use wvdial to connect and i don't know how to get another shell tab in save mode (sorry if i use wrong terms)

ntbutler
September 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
make sure when you type in the command that the X in etc/X11 is a capital, that will make a difference.

As for getting other shells, when you press ctrl+alt+F1, that takes you to a separate terminal/shell. You should also be able to use ctrl+alt+F2-F6 to get another 5 shells (use any one you like). (I hope that helps, i wasn't really sure what you were needing, so i hope that is what you are looking for.)

nbayiha
September 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Follow this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880787&highlight=install+nvidia+driver+hardy

UltraRos
September 11th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf gives me
'cp: cannot create regular file '/home/Joop/Desktop/xorg.conf' no such file or directory

More /etc/X11/xorg.conf works.

With
Envyng-gtk -t after install i get 'gtk-warning **: cannot open display:

Nepherte
September 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
My apologies. It's:

envyng -t

UltraRos
September 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Ok done that i've still the same issue accept that a blue screen about the xserver appears very short that it doesn't start

UltraRos
September 11th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ok i will reinstall Ubuntu an never touch nvidia again