PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with Ubuntu usershare folder

wintersnows
September 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM
hiya, I am trying to create a share folder. I have install: sudo apt-get install smb in Terminal. When I right click Sharing Option and ticked on both share this folder, allow others people to write in this folder, it then prompt out a box:

The folder "smb" needs the following extra permissions for sharing to work:

Nautilus need to add some permissions to your folder "smb" in order to share it
- write permission by others
Do you want Nautilus to add these permissions to the folder automatically?

I click add automatically, it gives me error:

net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission denied
You do not have permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you permissions to create a share.

I also tried to Emblems tab, ticked share but it doesn't work at all.

could someone tell me how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advanced

wintersnows
September 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Is it means I need to create a sharefolder?

I have tried: usersharedir /home/username/Makeusersharedir

but command bash not found.

photek1000
September 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM
When I had this issue, I believe after clicking the auto option and getting the error, I simpley restarted the machine and logged in and tried again, this time all the permissions were set to allow me to share the folder I wanted to within my /home/user-name area.

wintersnows
September 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
yes. I tried as your mentioned but I still getting the same problem. What is others method?

superprash2003
September 11th, 2008, 05:23 PM
there could have been some mistake while initially configuring samba, you normally have to add a samba user to smbusers file.Follow this http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-setup-samba-in-linux.html

kylebridge
September 11th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I've been having that problem too. I'm actually reinstalling Hardy right now because I wanted the partitions set up differently, but as soon as I try that out, I'll let you know if it worked for me.

b0b138
September 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
You have to add an smb user

sudo smbpasswd -a username

kylebridge
September 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I followed the link above and added the smb user, but when I right-click on a folder and click sharing options I get the message for Nautilus to apply permissions automatically, I click apply, and I get this error-

"'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error Permission Denied You do not have permission to create a usershare. Ask your administrator to grant you permissions to create a share."

The only way I can get a folder to share is to enable the root account and log on as root. This is my second day using Ubuntu though, so I'm sure I'm doing something dumb.

wintersnows
September 12th, 2008, 12:26 AM
You have to add an smb user

sudo smbpasswd -a username

I did create a user and do as above. When I comes into: Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf I got error.

stefanb
September 12th, 2008, 01:02 AM
kylebridge: You should probably logout and login again. This is a reported bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/245493.

b0b138
September 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
go into system/administration/users and groups and make sure youre a member of the sambashare group